New Wall Light - No earth though?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am planning to replace a wall light in a bedroom.

The wall light cabling in the wall however is the older style - black and red type, and appears to have no earth.

The new light fitting has a requirement for an earth but what I don't know if this is mandatory.

Essentially would like to know if I am still ok to fit the light?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Your new fitting MUST be earthed. Look carefully at the cabling, is there a hidden earth core cut off at the end of the sheathing? If not then i'm afraid you are going to have to change your fitting for a "double insulated" one.

How old is your property?

If you find no earth at this wall light position then check all the other lights and switches, for you may have a lighting circuit with no earth in it, in which case all of your lights should be double insulated, and if you have any metal switches you must replace them with plastic as a matter of urgency.

If you do find a cut-back earth core you should check all the other lights and switches and the connections in the CU, because the sort of idiot who would cut an earth core back is not really the type of person you can entrust your life to by just assuming he didn't do something idiotic elsewhere.

Your installation will be very common to a lot of lighting circuits that where installed way back when. Unfortunately your new metallic fitting requires an earth connection, so as it stands cannot be fitted.
There may be a chance that the CPC/earth has been cut back and within in the grey cable sheath of either the twins (red+black) or red if singles.
It's not as simple as extending/ jointing this conductor to a suitable length, then terminating it, as it is highly likely that other CPC/earths have been cut back and continuity back to the supply/board is not present. So if you do want metallic fittings, this will need to be sorted out. Or plastic/double insulated fittings must be installed. This goes for all the fittings on this circuit.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks for the replies people!

I will check that the earth has not been cut back, if it has then I can extend, if not then I will get the light fitting changed to a double insulated one.

Thanks again all.

I will check that the earth has not been cut back, if it has then I can extend
If you do extend (this can be done be the use of a single section of a connection block, the cable will need to be sleeved green/yellow for identification. Also it is important that the earth/CPC conductor has continuity(is connected back to the supply at the CU, fuse board) If not you are wasting your time, so this must be confirmed.
Likely need to make connections at all switches, light fitting and any other accessories/equipment connected to this circuit.
So you will need some form of test equipment to prove continuity, such as
low resistance measuring ohmmeter or multi-meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back