Replacing unearthed with earthed wall light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a double-insulated wall light with one requiring an earth. There is an earth wire in the cable but it has been cut too short to fit to the light. Would I be OK to solder some wire to the existing earth so that it will reach the fitting point inside the new light?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. So if I twist the wires together so they can't come apart and then solder, that should be fine? There's enough earth showing for me to do that.

If you have enough wire to twist, then you should have enough to extend via one 5amp connector block.

Sponsored Links
Soldering to that brings a very real risk of damaging the insulation and sheathing of the cable. Copper is a very good conductor of heat and that short stub needs to get to a temperature way in excess of what the PVC can withstand.

Thank you. Yes, I think there is enough wire to use a connector block. I'll try that.

So if I twist the wires together so they can't come apart and then solder, that should be fine?
upload_2018-11-10_14-44-25.jpeg

upload_2018-11-10_14-44-56.jpeg

upload_2018-11-10_14-45-8.jpeg

upload_2018-11-10_14-45-24.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back