Outdoor PIR light but a missing earth wire (from supply)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I want to replace a couple of PIR wall lights. I removed the covers and notice that for one of them the Earth conductor is missing or has been cut (in the power supply cable).

On the light with the missing Earth, I note that the actual wiring from the light fitting back to the connector block does have an Earth wire which s is connected back into the connector block. Where as the other light fitting has two earth wires - one from the power supply cable and one from the light fitting. Back plates for both are plastic but the body of the light fitting is metal.

My question is - does it matter and If I replace them with metal lights, is this an issue or am I ok to just wire any earth wire from the fitting itself into an earth terminal?

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_2718.jpg
    IMG_2718.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2723.jpg
    IMG_2723.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
You should earth the metal covers, can you pull out the supply and crimp a new length of earth wire?

You should earth the metal covers, can you pull out the supply and crimp a new length of earth wire?
Hi - thanks the photo IMG2718 might not show it but the earth wire on the fitting side attaches from the screw down connection on the metal face plate (the same as in the other photo and goes into the connector block. Is this essentially not doing anything as it it not connected on the supply side? I could potentially try to tug on the earth wire that is slightly sticking out of the supply cable bit was nervous about causing damage...

you should probably make sure the earth thats been cut back is actually an earth connected to whatever circuit its using and could be used as an earth and not just a bit of spare wire , maybe cut the other end or not connected.

Sponsored Links
Hi - thanks the photo IMG2718 might not show it but the earth wire on the fitting side attaches from the screw down connection on the metal face plate (the same as in the other photo and goes into the connector block. Is this essentially not doing anything as it it not connected on the supply side? I could potentially try to tug on the earth wire that is slightly sticking out of the supply cable bit was nervous about causing damage...
If you cant tease the earth wire out, then you may be able to use an inline wago type connector to join them up

Thanks will try to get some push fit wago or splice connectors to allow me to extend the assumed earth wire. Am I correct inn assuming that the earth wire coming from the light fitting into the metal face place earth screw is not doing anything, because it needs connection to the earth from the power supply cable instead?

you should probably make sure the earth thats been cut back is actually an earth connected to whatever circuit its using and could be used as an earth and not just a bit of spare wire , maybe cut the other end or not connected.
Thanks how would I be able to tell easily?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back