New wall thermostat needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I wonder if you could help me please. I'd like to replace my old Sunvic TLX 2259 with a newer thermostat. I'm hoping for a straightforward swap (anything too complicated with electrics is beyond me) but would prefer a digital device. Could anyone recommend one?

I have a British Gas UP2 control panel in the airing cupboard which is sufficient for programming times, so I'm open to the idea of a non-programmable stat, but not against a programmable one either.

My boiler is ancient (Apollo Fanfare 15/30si) so I'm looking to keep things fairly simple and not go wireless.

The current stat is wired as per the attached photo so, according to the wiring diagram;

Red = switched live
Yellow = permanent live
Blue = neutral

Any advice and recommendations gratefully received.

Thank you
20200923_203758.jpg

Sponsored Links
Any standard room stat will replace that. If you get an electronic, battery operated one that has a digital display then you will need only use two of the wires [Red & Yellow]. This type are generally more accurate than the mechanical movement type that you have now.

I would suggest that you have a search for one that you like the look of, and that fits your requirements, then post back the make / model details on here and someone will be able to confirm its suitability and tell you how to install it.

Personally in your case, I would fit a Honeywell, Drayton, Siemens or Danfoss, and avoid the cheaper obscure models that some online retailers promote. As with most things in life you get what you pay for.

Sponsored Links
Great, thank you.

I've just checked the Honeywell help site for the wiring diagram. It looks like:

Yellow to A
Red to B
and tape off/ choc block blue to make safe

Please let me know if you disagree.

Sounds good to me (y)

Edit.
Convention has it that the 'Permanent Live' [Red] is A, and the 'Switched Live' [Yellow] is B. But as a thermostat is just a simple on/off switch, in reality it will work fine either way around.

Last edited:
Thanks again

Any advice on making the neutral wire safe? I was intending to tape it but Google tells me that would be unsafe. Do I need to use a terminal block? If so, any recommendations on what to go for? (Screwfix, ideally)

Indeed, insulation tape is prone to loose its adhesion and fall off, I use one of these. You can get them from any hardware shop or DIY shed....

Terminal Block.jpg

.....and Screwfix

Great, thank you. 16A would be suitable, I assume?

Looks straightforward enough (famous last words!...)

If you click on the word 'Screwfix' in my post above it will show you a 6A terminal strip.

As you are only using the terminal as a method of insulation / isolation, there won't actually be any current flowing through it at all so this is one instance 'where size doesn't matter' and a smaller terminal will probably contain a thin wire more securely.

Even if there was current flowing through the terminal, the boiler should be fitted with a 3A fuse anyway, so 5A or 6A is more than enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back