New Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi eveyone, I wonder if you can help me. having been priced silly prices from builders to replaster my room I have decided to to most of the work myself except the actual plastering.

So far I have stripped the walls, removed the skirting board and hacked off the plaster back to the bare laths on the internal walls. The laths are pretty old.

I have left the laths in tact before I just claify what I should do next. Am I right in thinking I should remove the laths and then put up plasterboards nailed to the vertical studs?

Also how far down the walls should the boards go?

Apprciate any advice and maybe a step by step cheklist would be REALLY healpful.

Darren

Sponsored Links
I would remove the laths yes...they will casue problems when it comes to fixing the boards.

I cant see why you leave the boards resting on the floor.

Use tapered boards...youl find the jointing easier

Thanks for the reply, ill remove the laths, would you put in some horizontal stuts between the vertical ones also?

forgive my ignorance but what are tapered boards? any tips for definate dos or donts when im doing any of this, i have set out a little plan, please tell em what u think of it;

Hack off plaster
remove laths
nail in horizontal struts?
sand door frame
pasterboard the walls
dryline walls
install new powerpoints and tv socket
plaster walls
install flooring
attach new skirting baord
hang door
decorate and simmerwitch and sockets

Yes ..if they arnt already there..these are called noggins..

Tapered boards have edges that feather off...so when they are butted together you have a 5/6 inch wide section you can tape and caulk without it causeing a problem on the face of the board.

Cant say about the rest..im not a pro builder..im but a simple decorator :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
pennelldj said:
Thanks for the reply, ill remove the laths, would you put in some horizontal stuts between the vertical ones also?

forgive my ignorance but what are tapered boards? any tips for definate dos or donts when im doing any of this, i have set out a little plan, please tell em what u think of it;

Hack off plaster
remove laths
nail in horizontal struts?
sand door frame
pasterboard the walls
dryline walls
install new powerpoints and tv socket
plaster walls
install flooring
attach new skirting baord
hang door
decorate and simmerwitch and sockets

leave the plaster on and board over using longer screws
leave the laths they make a mess removing.
use screws instead of nails.
plasterboard the walls using 12.5 plasterboard.
you can dryline.
put the power points and tv sockets in place first and work to them.
plaster wall.
install flooring.
attach new skirting board.
hang door.
decorate and simmerwitch and sockets.
then sit back and enjoy ;)

Thanks for the guide, im loking forward to the last bit! :)
ill let you know how it goes
Darren

They are special switches that keep your light bulbs warm :rolleyes:

Hi guys
heres an update and wondered if you could help me

So far the really messy bits have been done, I have hacked the stud walls back to the laths and removed these and removed all the nails. There are two stud walls and one extrenal wall which is the outside of tghe building and an adjacent wall to next door.

Now im stuck...
I know whats happenign with the stud walls and basically they are now ready for plaserboarding, however im not sure how far back I should hack the external wall back for plastering....

From what i can see there are a few layers, bearing in mind its an old house
I can see a thin layer of plaster, then a colured white calk or ppoweder, then some black material, maybe concrete, and then the external bricks...

Any idea how far back I should take the wall? do i only chip off the thin layer of plaster or all the way back? and in some places near the edge it has gone back to the brick, what do i fill this with?

Will REALLY apprciate some advice guys

Cheers

Darren

if its not loose leave it and dab over or fill in the slacks with bonding, pva and skim. ;)

none of the plaster is loose just thoght it had to comr off for the plasterer to skim over, do u think i should leave the plaster on then

talk to the plasterer but by the sounds of it you havent appointed one, so you may be wasting your energy as in regards to saving money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back