Remove wall ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I am starting to renovate my bathroom, which is really tiny (136 x220cm). The wall had 2 layers of tile which I am in the process of removing. Underneath is lath and plaster, or more accurately now just lath, so far which seems in reasonable condition. The wall is internal and backs on to my bedroom, behind the bare laths in the bathroom is a gap of about 8.5cm which I would really like to reclaim, as would make quite a difference in a room this size, so...... Could I remove the laths and struts and just plasterboard the back of my bedroom wall. Any other ideas/advice gratefully received. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Limarie, HI.

I am confused, what is the make up of the wall that is your bedroom wall? is it also Lath & Plaster, or is it something else?

Ken.

Hi Ken,
Thanks for responding. My bedroom wall is also lath and plaster and I was hoping to plasterboard the bathroom wall as close to the back of my bedroom as possible to gain a few extra cms.

This seems a bit confusing to me too. Are you talking about removing the stud work of the wall and fixing the new plasterboard directly to the back of the laths in your bedroom? If so, I see one major oversight!

Sponsored Links
Limarie, Hi.

Short answer is no you should not remove any of the vertical uprights.

Long answer is, the vertical "studs" were put in first, then the laths were fixed [to both sides] meaning that if you remove the vertical "Studs" the wall in your bedroom will fail, that is bump against it and it will simply Collapse.

The integral strength of these walls is dependant on the vertical "Studs" and the sort of symbiotic relationship of the Lath and the "studs" to get it all stable

If you really need extra space, it would require that you remove the existing partition complete, then build a new plasterboard stud wall in a position of your choosing plus.

1/ A make good to the ceiling in the Bathroom
2/. A loss of space in the Bedroom.
3/. Redecoration of the bedroom.

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back