New water line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently , I have a water leak , some where between the water meter ( in the alley ) to the house .

The existing line is copper , in fact , all the water piping inside the house is copper , too . I will probably install the new line to the house in PVC .

Where would I purchase the new " slip nut fitting " that attaches to the " house side " of the water meter ? The existing fitting looks to be brass / copper with the copper water line soldered to it . It unscrews like 1/2 of a union .

Or , if there are no holes in that piece of the copper pipe , do I just adapt from copper to PVC ?

I plan to keep the interior piping in copper

Thanks ,
Wyr
God Bless

Sponsored Links
PVC? It'd be better if you used MDPE

You should be able to just adapt from copper to MDPE if you can find a bit of copper that looks trustworthy. Other than that, it's hard to advise how to come straight off the meter without being able to see it - photos would help

I wish to get it all 99% installed , before I cut loose the existing line and fitting . Otherwise , I would just remove it and go down to the plumbing supply house and ask for " one of these " .

May be able to post photos after I get it dug up .

My guess is the copper pipe is soldered into the " fitting " ? Might be able to un-solder the fitting and solder it to a new piece of copper . Then adapt to PVC .

God bless
Wyr

Sponsored Links
You can do all the guessing you like, but it's be best to expose the joint first so you can actually see what you're dealing with, then you'll be able to make a judgement on how best to proceed

MDPE ?

Please fill me in . What are the advantages & disadvantages over traditional PVC ( burred in the ground ) ?

How does the cost compare ? Of the pipe and of the fittings ?

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

MDPE is approved for use as an underground water supply pipe, whereas PVC is for waste pipe not under pressure

A 25m roll of 25mm MDPE will be about £15.00, fittings are about £2-£10 depending on what you need

I may be in error , asking on this forum . If so , I apologize .

I live in the USA & PVC is used for domestic cold water , here . In addition to being used for Drain , Vent & Waste .

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

Wyr, unfortunately you are in a primarily UK forum. US plumbing materials, fittings and regulations can be quite different than here in the UK therefore we may not be best placed to advise you.

Ah, that explains it. Yes, you've stumbled upon a UK Forum I'm afraid!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back