Hot Water Line Restriction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My hot water line to our upstairs bath is restricted somewhere. Both the sink and tub hot water runs slow. I found the supply line in the basement that runs up to the bath. From the hot water heater, there is a supply line that runs to it and splits to the washer supply. The washer supply runs fine so it's from that point to the upstairs. It's the old iron pipe also. I want to cut the horizontal pipe in two and then snake the verticle line in an attempt to free it. The iron pipe is 7/8" thick (called one inch?) My question: Can I put a copper adapter to 90 iron elbow and then sweat copper on it? I would end up replacing about three feet of horizontel iron pipe with copper pipe, valve, fittings. I seem to remember dissimiliar metals cause problems but don't want to mess with iron pipe and don't want to replace the whole house with copper. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
This is a UK site and few of us here are familiar with the set up you will have there. Its best that you find a similar US site for this question.

FWIW I wouldnt use copper in that situation. If I was more familiar with American systems I would probably like more info about what equipment you have in your house eg water softener, vented or unvented system? and whether you had soft or hard water etc.

Probably best to get a local plumber in who may be able to diagnose it much more quickly. It could be something as simple as a valve not open fully

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back