New Water pipe -25mm

M

marsaday

I am gearing up to replace the lead pipe in the drive.

How deep will it be in the ground usually ?

Will i have to redrill a hole through the solid brick work to come through into the downstairs toilet where the current lead pops up?

Just been to take the photo and i am thinking i am going to need to dig a hole in the toilet area to get down to where the lead pipe comes into the house.

Any ideas on what i need to think about ?

View media item 53056

Sponsored Links
You need to get the information from the water authority.
I got all the necessary information from United Utilities.
Basically the pipe has to be protected by laying on sand or soft material and covered with sand,
I had sharp cinders to deal with and laid 2in dia ducting.
The pipe has to be 750mm deep.
At the house I had to drill/break through at 750mm deep and fit a 100mm (4in) ducting. This ducting has to be insulated to a certain spec..
The above will need to be inspected and approved by the 'authority' unless you use an 'approved contractor'
I do believe it's now possible to bring the pipe up outside the house in a well insulated special purpose box and enter house at higher level

Thanks for that video

I will be speaking to yorks water tomorrow and will get them out.

With regards to digging a trench, will i need some shuttering making. I hava load of wood i can use.

My drive is concrete and i want to replace it long term, so i doubt i will reconcrete, but i need to make it ok for the car. The distance will be about 10m to cover. Do i need to use a stone saw to cut my trench or can i just break a rough first trench in the concrete using a bar and lump hammer ?

Sponsored Links
Mark the channel you want to cut in the drive (approx 300mm wide) you can use a chalk line. Then cut the concrete with an angle grinder and use a kango to remove the top section of concrete, then use a spade to dig down.

Or get a company to 'mole' you a new supply tunnel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKGcvast1d0

Andy

Chances are that a water pipe buried 750mm deep will be below the foundations of a house old enough to have a lead supply pipe, so you probably won't have to drill through the brickwork.
(burrowing down through the floor and any concrete oversite could be a different matter though.....)

You don't necessarily have to follow the same route as the existing supply. The facilities in houses have changed over the years (new kitchens, additional bathrooms etc, etc.). You could bring your new supply into the house elsewhere if that would now make more sense. The only 'fixed' point is the position of the water company's stop tap.

Good point on where i bring it in to the house.

It needs to be where the water pipes are at mo. So toilet or kitchen next door. It is going to be hard to bring the pipe up into the toilet via the floor as i am going to loose my new tiles floor.

So i am thinking about coming through the wall.

If i do this in the kitchen i will be able to hide the tap behind the main kitchen sink unit and so this will be out of site a lot easier than in the toilet.

Spoke to York water and i need to come up under the foundation and into the toilet that way - not through the wall.

He said i should core drill down in the toilet area to find the pipe coming in.

Will the pipe bend under the house and then come up the wall ? It is going to be close to 90 degree bend.

It's not the angle that matters, it's the radius of the bend.
You can make MDPE do a 360. That's how it's stored and delivered.

If you get fed up of digging, you can hire a man and a digger for about £150 a day. I get them dig up, I lay new pipe and they back fill. A five meter trench takes about hour and half! I leave a metre square trench where new pipe to enter property and finish off, obviously leave a few meters of pipe for local water auth to connect their end. Can be a bitch of a job!

I've seen south staffs water come up on external wall and go through wall into property above ground level and then box it in and lag it! Seems like regs are changed to suit local auths when it pleases.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back