New water storage tank size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very large and very old water storage tank in the loft which needs changing. This only feeds the hot water tank below and nothing else. This is a small terraced house with one bathroom and 2 adults. I would like to fit a smaller tank. Any ideas which size would best suit my needs?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
113 litre (25 gallon) if only supplying hot, 227 litre (50 gallon) if hot and cold

Sponsored Links
There is so little difference in price that I would be inclined to fit a 50 gallon while I was doing the job. In a hot loft during the summer they can adsorb heat and reduce the chargeable cost of water heating.

But what really matters is the flow rate from the ball valve and the rate at which you use hot water.

Thats likely to be about 10 li/min if you shower and could be 20 litres/min if you take baths or have a shower pump.

However you dont really need anything larger than the hot water cylinder which may well be the basic size of 26 gallons.

Tony

There is so little difference in price that I would be inclined to fit a 50 gallon while I was doing the job. In a hot loft during the summer they can adsorb heat and reduce the chargeable cost of water heating..

I agree with you Tony, providing he can get a 50 gallon through the hatch.

BTW a 50 gallon circular can be folded up to fit through without damaging the cistern.

There is so little difference in price that I would be inclined to fit a 50 gallon while I was doing the job. In a hot loft during the summer they can adsorb heat and reduce the chargeable cost of water heating.

But what really matters is the flow rate from the ball valve and the rate at which you use hot water.

Thats likely to be about 10 li/min if you shower and could be 20 litres/min if you take baths or have a shower pump.

However you dont really need anything larger than the hot water cylinder which may well be the basic size of 26 gallons.

Tony

me myself i would put a 60 gallon tank in but in my own house i have two 60 gallon tanks so if the water gose in the area i have plenty for the tiolet and shower ps make sure there is a supporting wall under tanks

me myself i would put a 60 gallon tank in but in my own house i have two 60 gallon tanks so if the water gose in the area i have plenty for the tiolet and shower

That's because you are in a rural place where the water may go off.

I used to do petrol filling stations where i had to fit 100 gallon storage feeding a sink and disabled toilet (with a spray tap) :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back