New windows sitting lower than window boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m just after a bit of advice. We had new plastering and window boards, we then had new window measurements taken by a company and then fitted. It turns out they measured only externally and the new windows sit so low in relation to the window boards, the window frame is lower on some and it looks so tight and horrid, we can’t fit perfect fit blinds now. They say this is normal and they can only measure externally but is this true and they won’t measure the internal hole also so it fits neatly?

Attachments

• 6DF2B950-F535-4F57-B536-EE06890F4AB4.jpeg
    6DF2B950-F535-4F57-B536-EE06890F4AB4.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 370
Sponsored Links
I'd have expected them to take the internal measurements of the opening as well as the glass size on the old windows to check how the new windows fitted when the window boards were fitted (which I presume they also did). I'd certainly do that with wooden windows (sorry, but I don't do PVC). So that's either lack of quality control or slap dash fitting, but either way it isn't right.

Do you know if the window board is thicker than the original, or the new one has in any way been built-up too far? It might still be possible to drop the height of the window board, or is the new window it adjacent to another window which might make any difference in height look rather too obvious?

Hi,

I’m just after a bit of advice. We had new plastering and window boards, we then had new window measurements taken by a company and then fitted. It turns out they measured only externally and the new windows sit so low in relation to the window boards, the window frame is lower on some and it looks so tight and horrid, we can’t fit perfect fit blinds now. They say this is normal and they can only measure externally but is this true and they won’t measure the internal hole also so it fits neatly?

Whoever did the window survey forked up, basically the windows need replacing or block work cutting down and replastering. The window boards are set about 30mm too high against window frame.

This is a schoolboy error, every window surveyor in the country knows you measure inside and out.

Were the windows replacing timber windows or do you have a stone cill or creasing tile detail externally

what does the top look like
sometimes its a compromise where you average out the gaps and lower the window board by thinning out some off the thickness or removing Masonry but that only works if theres enoungh meat to look good after
if they made the mistake its up to them to fix or come to a compromise that your happy with this will often be an reduced payment
but like j&k i am a wood butcher and not a pvc connoisseur

Sponsored Links
When we had plastering and new window boards they got raised by about 15mm.

The new window measurements were taken after this work.

The window company claims; All windows have to measured to external tight sizes minus 10mm as per FENSA regulations. We cannot measure internally as that has no relation to the weathering requirements.

I don’t know how much of that I believe. Also they messed up the external tiles on one window which are now loose.

When we had plastering and new window boards they got raised by about 15mm.

The new window measurements were taken after this work.

The window company claims; All windows have to measured to external tight sizes minus 10mm as per FENSA regulations. We cannot measure internally as that has no relation to the weathering requirements.

I don’t know how much of that I believe. Also they messed up the external tiles on one window which are now loose.
fensa regulations as far as i know do not quote or cover 10mm??
10mm is all round clearance NOT covered by regulation just a standard "reasonable"--" normal" allowance but as the window needs to "fit in and look right internals need to fit in so the problem needs addressing
regulations cover heat loss and probably quality and level off instillation but never ever cosmetic appearance that a quality control problem so not covered by regs

Last edited:
Whoever did the window survey forked up, basically the windows need replacing or block work cutting down and replastering. The window boards are set about 30mm too high against window frame.

This is a schoolboy error, every window surveyor in the country knows you measure inside and out.

Were the windows replacing timber windows or do you have a stone cill or creasing tile detail externally

Replaced PVC windows.

Thanks for the information here everyone which helped me with my reply. They are coming to discuss options later this week and have admitted they do take internal measurements though they are trying to claim they took them before refirb, when refirb was done 2 months before the quote was asked for, ha.

For what it’s worth, we had a similar problem. Company admitted they measured up incorrectly. They offered a discount off the cost. I declined as I wanted the window needed to match they adjacent ones. So they removed it and replaced with a window that I wanted and had paid for. So my advice is to get them to replace it as it may annoy you every time you look at it otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back