Newbie at painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
has anyone got time to give me a few tips..before I wreck my hallway walls? :oops:

The previous owner had the hall wallpapered with a horrid emboss effect. This had then been painted over (glossy)

Last September I started to strip the wallpaper using an Argos steamer and I've just finished :)

I think I've got a problem. Under that wallpaper was a semi glossy painted wall. This paint has lifted off in places showing plaster, the paint's a bit flaky in places too.

I'm not sure how to apprach this now. smooth the flaky bits of paint down with sandpaper? Smooth the entire walls? Just paint over it all a few times with 'normal' paint? I just don't want to see the lines where plaster meets the old paint.

I've budgeted quite well and can afford nice brushes, roller - whichever you think is best.

Thanks for helping :)

Sponsored Links
hello jenna222,
sorry no one has replied to your post.I was hoping for an answer to your problem. My stairs and hall are the same,under the paper was an "eggshell" type paint, I tried sanding the edges and painting over, but the original paint just bubbled in places, and stuck to the roller!
So now I am slowly scraping the paint off after soaking the walls.
its going to take a long time..... :cry:
good luck
peterpumpkin.

Jenna you need to seal the wall first with something like dulux stain block..thin it down a bit first..

Then fill it..rub it down, size the bits of bare filler and then line the walls with 1000 grade lining paper..its the best way to achieve a nice even finish.

If you dont use a lining paper you will see 'scars' all over the surface due to the different surfaces you have..old plaster, new filer, existing paint etc..

Use a matt emulsion not silk...matt helps cover up uneven walls because it doesnt reflect the light as much as silk.

Sponsored Links
Hi Zampa
Thanks for replying :)
Wallpapering/lining paper is really the last thing in the world I want to attempt. I've not got steady enough hands, or patience for that kind of thing. :( Looks like I'm going to have to put up with this scaring effect you mention caused by the plaster, existing paint etc.

I've been rubbing the walls with sandpaper where the old paint is flaky, it feels smooth and I can only imagine it looking a little better once painted over with emulsion...however Peter above with similar problems has been having bubbling problems..

Peterpumpkin Hope your doing okay with the stairs/hallway, sorry to hear all that painting you did has resulted in you having to scrap it all off, that's awful. I'm guessing this might happen to me when I start painting, but there's nothing else I can do, last resort would be to get a decorator in, which I can't really afford.. Anyway, Let me know how you get on Peter.

take care
Jenna

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back