Newbie: bathroom fan wiring puzzle

First of all I find the rating of components and wiring within showers leaves something to be desired and wonder how many actually comply
True, but then they don't have to comply with BS 7671. And neither does your mod, I guess.

Pulling a 1/4 spade off a tag, installing a piggyback connector and pushing original onto that or adding another ring crimp onto the threaded stud of a heating element in no way invalidates any warranty,
The small print almost certainly says it does, and if they're looking for a way to wriggle out, they will use that, even if the claim is that the knob broke off. They'll just say no, and leave you, or your customer, to try and find a way to fight that.

Apart from anything else it can so easily be reinstated before the word warranty rears its head.
True, but I thought we were discussing domestic showers - the householder won't want to have to do that before he can place a call, nor will he want to wait for you to be able to go and do it, and nor would you be keen to have to do it (I assume).

My experience of showers is that the majority have their isolators left permanently switched on [some people don't even know there is an isolator] so any realistic control of fans etc needs to be done from within the unit.
Trust me - you soon learn to use the isolator when it also works the fan - it's just a Q of making it a habit. All of us here occasionally forget to turn ours off, but it's pretty rare.

Thinking about it now a nice way to do this would be to fit a current transformer switch on the main feed, which could be anywhere including the CU, theres food for thought.
That would be a good idea.

Sponsored Links
First of all I find the rating of components and wiring within showers leaves something to be desired and wonder how many actually comply
True, but then they don't have to comply with BS 7671. And neither does your mod, I guess.

Pulling a 1/4 spade off a tag, installing a piggyback connector and pushing original onto that or adding another ring crimp onto the threaded stud of a heating element in no way invalidates any warranty,
The small print almost certainly says it does, and if they're looking for a way to wriggle out, they will use that, even if the claim is that the knob broke off. They'll just say no, and leave you, or your customer, to try and find a way to fight that.

Apart from anything else it can so easily be reinstated before the word warranty rears its head.
True, but I thought we were discussing domestic showers - the householder won't want to have to do that before he can place a call, nor will he want to wait for you to be able to go and do it, and nor would you be keen to have to do it (I assume).

My experience of showers is that the majority have their isolators left permanently switched on [some people don't even know there is an isolator] so any realistic control of fans etc needs to be done from within the unit.
Trust me - you soon learn to use the isolator when it also works the fan - it's just a Q of making it a habit. All of us here occasionally forget to turn ours off, but it's pretty rare.

Thinking about it now a nice way to do this would be to fit a current transformer switch on the main feed, which could be anywhere including the CU, theres food for thought.
That would be a good idea.

If a customer called to say something under warranty [manufacturers equipment or my work] had failed I would be there like a shot, and would not think about charging if its a genuine failure. As the supplier of the materials it would be my responsibility to get the warranty sorted.
Or am I too old fashioned for todays standards.

Reading that back again makes it look confrontational, its really not supposed to be.
I whole heartedly accept any ones views & opinions and trust they accept mine as mine.

Did a straw poll tonight of 7 women
2 didn't know what the switch is for.
4 never switch it off including one who doesn't think there is one. [I will check next time I'm there!]

I dont know how typical that is though

Sponsored Links
Trust me - you soon learn to use the isolator when it also works the fan

Do you think that learning what it's for is beyond them?
"This switch turns the shower and the fan on and off."
"You've lost me there - I don't understand what you mean."

4 never switch it off
Do you think that they would still never switch it off if that meant the fan never stopped?

including one who doesn't think there is one. [I will check next time I'm there!]
It's quite possible that there isn't one.

Trust me - you soon learn to use the isolator when it also works the fan

Do you think that learning what it's for is beyond them?
"This switch turns the shower and the fan on and off."
"You've lost me there - I don't understand what you mean."

4 never switch it off
Do you think that they would still never switch it off if that meant the fan never stopped?

including one who doesn't think there is one. [I will check next time I'm there!]
It's quite possible that there isn't one.

I agree with what you say.
They do now at least know what the extra light switch is for.

It's quite possible that there isn't one.[/quote]

I have checked and there is a cooker switch in the airing cupboard. The immersion heater is plugged in there. It has red Dymo labels, which I guess used to say 'shower' & 'water heater'

30A fuse, 4mm cable approx 3m both ends melted, 7.2KW Gainsborough shower.

In the bedroom next door is an unused 20A DP switch labelled 'Immersion', 15A fuse, 4mm cable approx 3m.

I have wired the immersion heater to the unused switch, removed fuse wire from the 30A fuse and cut of as much of the melted cable out as I can.

Fuses labelled as 'lights' 15A, 'immersion' 15A, 'sockets' 30A (2 pieces of fuse wire?), 'upstairs' 30A (shower cct). Its a MEM with 60A switch and 4 ceramic fuses to the left, two 30A above & two 15A below. But most of the cable looks a lot younger than the CU and tails (all) were replaced 'recently' when the meter was changed.

Advised them of the need to replace the 4way CU asap and a full check / rewire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back