Newbie here...Advice on cutting in wanted please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

First post here but have lurked around recently. I am currently decorating my first house and this is actually the first time I've decorated anything! Had the whole of upstairs plastered including smooth ceilings. I've mist coated and fully finished the ceilings in matt brilliant white, really happy with the results so far. My problems have started now though.....

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and although I've got better at it I just can't get a good straight finish cutting in the coloured paint to the ceiling. I'm using a good quality synthetic 1" brush. For neatness, could I run a neat bead of white caulk around the ceiling joints or would it look awful un painted? I've never used caulk before, but use silicone beads day in, day out at work (fitting garage doors) and can get a VERY good finish out of a gun.

Doesn't help that the plaster's corners leave something to be desired.

Any help or tips gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
A bigger brush is your best chance - 2½" or 3" brush is actually much easier to cut in with than a 1" one. Use a good quality brush with chiselled tips, load it fairly well and start painting an inch or so below the ceiling. As you move along the wall, drag the brush tips up to the edge at a 45° angle and 'pull' the paint along it in a straight line - you'll be surprised how much easier it is.
Caulk can help neaten up the poor corners before painting, but avoid using it afterwards because, if left unpainted, it will become grubby and you'll be back to square one.

Hmmmm, I tried 1" and 2" straight brushes and a 3" chiselled brush and I was best with the 1".
I'm annoyed as I'm normally pretty competent with most things I turn my hand to but I was getting very frustrated yesterday. Perhaps a fresh head later today will help.

Here's the best I managed in first coat.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 347
Sponsored Links
It's definitely nowhere near as bad as it could be, but I agree that it could be better.

Using a bigger brush allows you to drag it in longer strokes because it holds more paint and keeps the bristles straighter. One tip you could try is to lightly run the edge of a blunt scraper/filling knife along the corner to leave a very slight indent (don't make it too deep), and this will give you an edge that the paint brush should 'sit' in as you drag it, giving you a straighter finish with the paint. The problem being, if the plaster is as uneven as you suggest, it may not make much of a difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back