Painting advice pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a few things I’d love some advice/tips with please...

1. Which caulk would you use to go round wood work prior to painting? I’ve use £2 stuff before and and there’s painting with eggshell (after the undercoat) it’s dried shiny. I’ve bought Nemesis Mighty Decorators Caulk White at £2.99 from ScrewFix this time. Will this be better?
2. Where the joiner has pinned the skirting and architraves, what would you fill the holes with? They are pine and will be painted white so I’m guessing wood filler. Any recommendations please?
3. The paint I’m using for the ceiling and valspar V700 for the walls seems to dry really quickly on the mist coated walls. Would you recommend adding a small amount of water in this heat and applying more coats?
5. How do you stop a roller leaving lines at the sides? I’ve bought rollers from ScrewFix. Any tips please?

The rooms are freshly plastered so I’ve followed the instructions on the contractor white emulsion tins and added in their recommended 10% water and coated twice.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give as I’ve got a lot of painting to get done.

Sponsored Links
1. Trying different caulks means you will find the best one you like. I use Fat Hog from Johnstons Leyland.
2. Powder interior filler. eg. Easi-Fill
3. As long as new plaster was mist coated, emulsion drying quick means you can second coat sooner
4. Missing
5. Rollers supported from one side often results in lines so you have to watch out for those. Rollers supported from both ends (via two pins) don't.

1. I use Everbuild 125. Smooths nicely, doesn't cause most emulsions to crack. To date, I have never seen it discolour emulsion. Great price as well, as little as £1 per tube.

2. Never use powder filler on timber. In time it will blow. Might take 7 years but it will blow. If they are only small pin holes I use either Toupret Redlite or Red devil OneTime. Larger holes, I use 2 pack filler.

3. I have never used Valspar paints. Add Floetrol if you want to maintain a wet edge.

5. It sounds like you are over filling the roller. In an ideal world, you shouldn't have any paint on the cap ends of the roller. Unlike Bonni, I tend to use 9" rollers (it's a convenience thing). A short pile roller is more inclined to leave lines at the edges when over loaded. I use the Purdy Colossus medium sleeves . Although it has a medium pile, it doesn't leave a heavy build up on the walls.

Screwfix aren't particularly good for decorating products, use a local decorators' merchant.

5. It sounds like you are over filling the roller. In an ideal world, you shouldn't have any paint on the cap ends of the roller. Unlike Bonni, I tend to use 9" rollers (it's a convenience thing). A short pile roller is more inclined to leave lines at the edges when over loaded. I use the Purdy Colossus medium sleeves . Although it has a medium pile, it doesn't leave a heavy build up on the walls.

Where did I say I don't use 9" rollers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Sponsored Links
Sorry Bonni, I thought you were advocating the use of double arm rollers. I don't think that I have ever seen a double arm 9 inch roller but a quick internet search shows that they do indeed exist.

https://www.trade1st.co.uk/hamilton-adjustable-roller-frame

I find a standard cage roller that I use most often can leave a line but I'm aware and make sure to look for and roller over them. The double arm ones don't seem to do this.

I find a standard cage roller that I use most often can leave a line but I'm aware and make sure to look for and roller over them. The double arm ones don't seem to do this.

I admit that, when i over load my rollers, I risk getting a line on one side of my 9" roller. To counteract the problem, I just roll in a favourable direction (ie I roll the line away) as I move across the wall. I tend to buy Wooster and Purdy frames. Maybe some cheaper frames are more prone to flexing?

These roller sleeves don’t seem to be easily available...

Purdy Colossus Roller Sleeve Medium Pile 9 Inch

Do you have any other good recommendations please?

Thanks for the help and advice so far. Really appreciate it.

These roller sleeves don’t seem to be easily available...

Purdy Colossus Roller Sleeve Medium Pile 9 Inch

Do you have any other good recommendations please?

Thanks for the help and advice so far. Really appreciate it.

If you go to a proper decorators' merchant you should be able to find them. I have never seen them in the DIY stores though. I seldom use anything other than Wooster or Purdy roller sleeves and thus cannot recommend the stuff at the likes of Screwfix or B&Q.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back