Newbie laminate question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a few questions and only seen conflicting answers to so thought I'd ask you folks here.

I've got B&Q click and lock stuff laminate and I'm going to lay the stuff in my hallway leading directing on to my breakfast room. All other areas (including stairs) are going to be carpeted.

I'm going the scotia way as the rooms been decorated fairly recently and I don't want to rip the skirting boards off (which are also quite old so if I break them I won't be able to get the same ones).

My first question is do I lay them following the side to side line of the house (I'm going to label this widthways) or the front to back (lengthways).

My floorboards are widthways.

I've looked at the B&Q quide which only seems to mention that it recommend to be laid so light falls on the laminate lengthways although from posts on here it seems as that is only to show off the grain rather than technical reasons. There's not a high amount of light coming in via the front door or the breakfast window btw. But overall if I did follow this it would make it lengthways.

The homebase guide reckons I should go with the same direction as the floorboards which go widthways across my house but also mentionsyou should go in the direction of the light which would put it the other way? It also recommends puting down the underlay at 45 degrees to floor boards.

Other posts also say to go with the longest length wall which would make it lengthways. Again not sure if this is purely for aesthetic reasons.

Cutting wise as I'm going to need to cut around a staircase, widthways is going to be easiest.

So given all this are there any technical reasons (does laminate expand widthway or lengthway more or in line with the floorboards etc) I should do one way over the other? What are people's recommendations? (please say if you need further details from me).

Question 2 - For the underlay is 45 degrees the best way to go?

Question 3 - so when using the scotia I need to leave a 10mm gap all the round which the scotia should cover, right? And the scotia is nailed to the skirts, right?

Question 4 - The staircase and doorways look like they will present the greatest challenges. With the staircase (going to be fully carpeted) I've some people talk about leaving the 10mm gap and trying to get some flexible beading or using thick carpet underlay so it covers the gap visually whilst sitting just above the gap. Alternatively undercut the step - on this, I'm worried about how that will affect the load bearing of the stairs. Any recommendations?

Once I figure these I can get about doing some measuring to make sure I'm not just going to start and leave a silly gap one side.

Cheers!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, think I'm still a bit confused.

Choice seems like it may be lengthways is going to look nicer but widthways is easier.

Sponsored Links
Quick further question - From what I gather I should treat my hallway and kitchen as seperate rooms.

Does this mean that I should effectively cut the laminate off leaving a 20mm gap under the threshold joining strip?

Cheers

hi for best looking laminate lay the boards the long way work from center back to the walls and doors cut the boards so you lay 1 long length at a time as long as it is not the value b and q board should be ok just takes it out of your knees i would then when you get to the cuts lay them dry cut the profiles allowing 8 to 10mm and lay again the whole lenght do the same on other side then adjust the whole floor should be no more than 1100mm to get the center running straight and paralla with eye cut and fix moulding good luck

. , . , .

(Missing elements in the above reply)

As for the gap underneath the thresholds, 10mm on both sides. If you have a T-bar that means 10mm on both sides of the T-frame, if you have a cover strip 20mm between the two floors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back