Newbie painting a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done a few searches on this but there seems to be conflicting opinion on the best way to do this.

Quite simply I just want a nice smooth, gloss white finish on my radiators. I went out and bought some radiator paint and (after sanding) gave them 2 coats. The finish however is rubbish with quite a few brush marks.

I've never had brush marks like this when using normal gloss, but I was told that I needed radiator paint to stop yellowing (which to be fair has happened on the radiators I painted with normal gloss).

Any advice ? Am I using the wrong paint ? Should I strip the thing back to bare metal and start again etc ? or does it just need a sand and it applied with a roller ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Proper radiator paint is usually quick drying and dosent give enough time for you to get it on the radiator and lay it off. It usually stinks and can cause some pepole to pass out with the fumes. I personally dont like it and will always use oil based gloss or satin wood even though i know it will yellow quicker. I can always recoat it again in 12 months time.

I'll be shots down in flames, I bought a couple of aerosols of radiator paint because I knew I'd have a brush stroke problem.
Becka

Sponsored Links
Consider painting it with an egshell paint the same colour as the walls :idea:

Cheers for the advice guys but I ended up taking a slightly different route whiched seemed to work well. After sanding the radiator back down I stuck with the radiator paint but applied it using a foam roller. I was then able to lightly lay it off and have ended up with a much better finish.

You might get away with the areosols, but they will stink the place out.

Robbie, you say use Gloss but my experiance with gloss show's me that it go's yellow very quickly. Is there a gloss about that doesnt go yellow after a month or so ?

HaC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back