Newbie Q: creating a chimney flue to replace breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can fill in a few gaps in my knowledge.

I'm planning on removing the chimney breasts from my terraced property. At the back of the house, i want to remove the entire stack from ground and 1st floor rooms.

At the front of the house, i want to keep the front room chimney breast to keep as a functional fireplace. The bedroom directly above this also has a breast which i want to remove.

The idea i have is to chase some sort of pipe/flue into the bedroom wall to connect both pieces of the old chimney (i.e below and above the bedroom) that can replace the functional role of the old chimney.

My questions;

- is this feasible?

- are there buliding regs governing the capacity/insultation/materials of the proposed pipe?

- what would be the best way to connect the pipe to the existing chimney sections, both below (top of the ground floor chimney) and above (leading into the loft)

thank you in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
how do you propose supporting the masonry above the upstairs ceiling and in the loft?

removing a mid section of masonry chimney and replacing it with a tube to link the two together sounds bonkers to me.

are you serious?

The upper section of the remaining chimney, through the loft and upwards, would be supported the traditional way in a chimney removal, gallows brackets and bar.

The issue i'm trying to solve is how to keep the lower fireplace functional.

Thanks for the input though, if the general consensus is of it being bonkers then i'll have to rethink !

Sponsored Links
Yes. I've already submitted the party wall notice, as per a standard breast removal process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back