newbuild - insulation issues; cavity exposed etc etc. pointers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I live in a new timber framed house which is freezing cold. I had the hallway opened up by NHBC for further inspection and have since came across something that I dont think is right. looking for a builder in here to give further advice.

house type is a bellway rosedale.
upload_2018-2-4_10-17-47.png

Half way up the front hallway I have a hole cut where the front porch timber box meets the external brickwork on the main part of the house. there is a steel beam holding up the outside wall cavity but the wall cavity is open behind it? I can 'look up' to the roof space. is this normal?

some context -

upload_2018-2-4_10-20-32.png

loft hatch where hallway / leading from front door meets internal door for living area

upload_2018-2-4_10-21-14.png

a better picture of where this is exactly inside

just behind the steel beam shown above (where the insulation isnt) I can see right up the inside of the wall cavity to the roof. nothing there.

and the thermal images that show a problem -

upload_2018-2-4_10-23-15.png

other side of same area -

upload_2018-2-4_10-23-37.png

suggestions are more than welcome as NHBC are trying to fob me off with some insulation there is one hell of a draught coming from those areas as you might expect.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So basically your insulation needs to be a continuous envelope around the warm area, and your air barrier needs to be touching the insulation o the warm side to prevent air blowing through the insulation or past it, and prevent condensation in cold voids
With that in mind, you indeed have a gap which needs filing with insulation, but it would need to be against the surrounding insulation, and that steel beam needs to be either inside or outside (as steel is not in any way insulation)
If the insulation is wool type, there is the need for a vcl on the warm side or the whole void needs packing as far as the plasterboard to prevent air movement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back