Newby with no experience - Kitchen sink outside waste loose

Pipe goes into wall like this from under the sink

35426d1310860190-drain-pipe-100media_imag0359.jpg

And then comes out of the wall like this (the short pipe)

https://www.stlegerhomes.co.uk/images/pipe1.jpg[/QUOTE]

Cant work out what the white piece is before the grey pipe, it dosent look like a proper waste fitting to me, is it solvent welded onto the grey pipe how is it attached to the trap. It appears to have a slight bend as well. Is this the bit that is loose.

Your outside fitting looks like a push fitting a bit of mortar around the elbow will help to secure it.

Sponsored Links
Pushing the pipe back and forth outside will cause the joins in the u-bend configuration to pivot. Nothing major.
Just put a clip on the pipe outside, close to where it exits the wall, and make sure all the joins in your picture are tight.

Last night I got my wife to look at the outside pipe while I shoved the U-bend around and she said the outside pipe didn't move (but she checked from the window as couldn't be bothered to go outside!). I think that tonight I'll do the opposite and pull the outside pipe and get her to check for movement under the sink :)

But like sooey says, it doesn't look like the same pipe on the inside as the outside!

Let's see.

Thanks again.

With you also saying that you are having damp problems with that wall it makes me wonder if some butcher has shoved some inch and a quarter pipe into some inch and a half inside the wall.
Nothing surprises you in this job after a while.

Well, last night I went outside and pushed and pulled the pipe while my wife watched the U-bend. She filmed it so I could look too. The U-bend assembly did in fact move about which lead me to think that the two pipes (if indeed it isn't one pipe) are connected together.

So, I think it's OK.

The reason why the external pipe was not totally flush to the wall any more turns out to be due to a new u-bend setup I had fitted about 6 months ago which allowed a dish washer waste to be connected. The position of all the connections means that the pipe that goes out of the U-bend starts a bit closer to the wall, meaning that it sticks out more on the outside. So, it must have been like this for a while and I just didn't notice!

It's not a big deal though, it doesn't stick out miles - I'm just picky and notice small changes in things like this, which then led me to wonder why it had some movement in it! As long as there are no leaks then I'm happy.

Thanks all for your advice - it was very useful.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying the elbow in the outside picture has black pipe in its horizontal socket?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back