Newby with no experience - Kitchen sink outside waste loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I really have no clue about plumbing so go easy on me! :)

My kitchen sink connects to a pipe on the wall outside which takes the water down into the rain gutter drain (old house).

I noticed yesterday that the pipe coming out of the wall (which then immediately bends to the left and goes down flush to the side of the house) was not sitting flush to the wall any more.

I was able to push it back, but it got me wondering.

How can this pipe be moving? The U-bend under the sink doesn't move when I push and pull the external pipe so to my inexperienced mind it doesn't seem to have any physical connection to the sink waste.

Could it be that the pipe coming from the U-bend goes into a hole in the wall and then just slides inside the external pipe somewhere inside the wall? Is this OK if the smaller pipe goes far enough into the bigger pipe and is on a slope?

There is no visible leak but that wall does a have a history of damp which I thought was due to something else but I'm now wondering if a small amount of water could be seeping into the wall.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks a lot

:)

Sponsored Links
I would imagine that the pipe that passes through your wall is actually telescoping inside the 'U' bend or bottle traps outlet or whatever....its most unlikely that the waste pipe won't go straight out through the wall.
Why its moved away from the wall is anyone's guess....kids climbing on it, maybe?
John :)

We've got the builder in so I think it got knocked!

So, you think it's OK?

When I look under the sink, the the pipe that goes into the wall is white, but on the outside of the house the pipe is black, and looks bigger. So there must be a point where they join.

When you say telescopic, do you mean that the pipe out of the sink is bendy and goes into the outside pipe quite far meaning that when the water comes out, it's already quite far down the external waste pipe?

Waste fittings under the sink have a certain degree of tolerance pipe length wise for fitting - maybe one inch or so.
There are rubber seals that join the pipe to the waste trap - we don't know from here if those seals are displaced and leaking or not. One things for sure - don't pull the pipe out any further!
Unless the pipe is painted, there must be a join somewhere....if the sizes are different (40mm being the norm) then there must be a reducing connector. Usually this will be within the wall itself, cemented over.
Post a pic if it helps!

Sponsored Links
OK - thanks. I'll try and post a picture.

I was thinking of taking the external pipe off so I can look inside the wall - I take it that's not advisable then?

How can the join be in the actual wall? Surely the pipe from the sink would go right through the wall and stick out the other side so it can somehow be connected to the outside pipe?

The outside pipe is actually grey, but painted black.

I don't know what a waste trap is but I'm guessing that its the unit under the sink that contains the u-bend and connectors from the washing machine? All that looks fine, and the pipe which comes out of the U-bend into the wall is securely attached with no leaks.

If you decide to remove the pipe from the outside, then you have to be prepared to reconnect properly at the waste trap (thats your 'u' bend connection, machine waste connections etc).
Not the most difficult job, but sometimes an extra pair of hands comes in useful just to guide things in.
As your external wall will be made from two brick layers plus a cavity between, there's ample space to get a reducer / connector in - if indeed there is one.
What you must avoid at any time is any leak in there...it will cause damp and a pong!

OK - I don't think I'll remove it it then!

So to sum up, there should be a proper connection and the fact that the outside pipe moves with no sign of movement inside means there's a problem?

(I was thinking that perhaps the connection could be like you get on washing machines where the waste pipe is flexible and just slides into a vertical pipe coming out of the floor with no solid connection.)

Thanks a lot for your help.

If the waste under the sink is the traditional plastic type, which probably is of the bottle trap variety, then the waste pipe joining to it is a push fit.
Water tightness is made courtesy of a rubber washer inside. This is compressed as the plastic nut is tightened by hand.
These connections aren't rigid - they will allow the pipoe to slide a little yet often will still remain water tight. If the pipe is withdrawn completely, the chance of the water seal remaking is very slim as the rubber washer gets pushed out of the way.
I guess if you look at some of the help sheets available from the likes of Wickes you may get a better understanding of whats involved...but at the end of the day, no leaks are acceptable here.

Yeah, there is a plastic nut connecting the waste pipe to the trap but that waste pipe then connects to the outside pipe at some point where I can't see.

I can see what you're saying about a rubber seal over this pipe which seals it as it slips inside the bigger external pipe, and I can visualise how this could allow movement but still stay water tight.

I guess the long and the short of it is that I need to get a plumber out to look - I just did't want to pay for that if it's likely that that there's nothing wrong! :)

Thanks a again.

I would guess without seeing a picture there is a connection which is half embedded (Elbow?) in the exterior wall, if its push fit you could try pushing it back, although the rubber sealing grip may be perished, time for replacement,
Otherwise the other common problem is the plastic pipe/fitting deteriorates, goes brittle and has broken,
once again time for replacement
Good luck. Replacement is normally a simple DIY task

I've pushed the external pipe back into position, that wasn't a problem.

I'll take a pic when I get home but below is the basic situation

Pipe goes into wall like this from under the sink

35426d1310860190-drain-pipe-100media_imag0359.jpg

And then comes out of the wall like this (the short pipe)

https://www.stlegerhomes.co.uk/images/pipe1.jpg

Pushing the pipe back and forth outside will cause the joins in the u-bend configuration to pivot. Nothing major.
Just put a clip on the pipe outside, close to where it exits the wall, and make sure all the joins in your picture are tight.

When I look under the sink, the the pipe that goes into the wall is white, but on the outside of the house the pipe is black, and looks bigger. So there must be a point where they join.

I haven't read all the posts but if this is correct then they must be seperate pipes.
When you say it's black you are talking about the pipe that pulled out of the wall? The bit that goes through the wall I mean, it's black on the outside and white inside?

Pushing the pipe back and forth outside will cause the joins in the u-bend configuration to pivot. Nothing major.
Just put a clip on the pipe outside, close to where it exits the wall, and make sure all the joins in your picture are tight.

Last night I got my wife to look at the outside pipe while I shoved the U-bend around and she said the outside pipe didn't move (but she checked from the window as couldn't be bothered to go outside!). I think that tonight I'll do the opposite and pull the outside pipe and get her to check for movement under the sink :)

But like sooey says, it doesn't look like the same pipe on the inside as the outside!

Let's see.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back