Newlec 4"/100mm extractor fan alternative?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A 100mm Newlec extractor fan, with timer, was fitted into my (plasterboard) cloakroom ceiling about 7 years ago and despite light use, it's recently packed up. I've never been impressed with this device so I'm looking for a higher quality replacement that has a chance of lasting 10+ years.

I dug out the installation & wiring instructions for the fan and the brand name, Newlec, doesn't appear anywhere in the manual although model numbers are mentioned that are similar (though not identical) to Newlec extractor fans currently on the market. Seems my failed fan is the model NLLPF100TA. I guess this is a cheap generic product which carries various sellers' branding?

Anyway, this fan has always been better at making noise than shifting air. Specified at 21 L/sec air flowrate, I doubt it's half that though that may be due to generating such little pressure that it struggled to push open the external plastic louvre shutter sited on an external wall. Maybe the fan has an in-built backdraft valve and having to push through two such arrangements proved too much? I'll find out when I replace it. The fan is connected to approx. 1.2m corrugated 100mm plastic trunking that forms a very gentle 90 deg curve over it's entire length. I've checked the trunking and it's in good condition.

Do all these 100mm axial fans struggle to open anti-backdraft louvred flaps? In use, I had to set the maximum timer duration of approx. 30 mins so it adequately cleared a 4.8 cubic metre cloakroom.

I'm in two minds. I could simply buy a higher quality replacement. Is this a good option?

or go for a inline fan, axial or centrifugal, mounted in the loft? Something like this (although one with more airflow and power usage data):

Interested to hear thoughts, many thanks.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The inline ones are generally more powerful than axial, dont know about centrifugal. I changed my bathroom axial for an inline and it clears the shower steam so much better. Currently have a vortice lineo 100t from denmans electrical with 2 year guarantee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back