Extractor fan ducting through the roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a single storey property I need to fit three extractor fans, cooker hood, utility room and shower.
The tiles are clay double roman.

The plan is an in line fan and lead tile for each duct, which should be vertical from the ceiling to the roof.
I am unsure of the following:
1. Do I need a condensation trap on vertical ducting?
2. How is the 100mm duct made weatherproof above the lead tile. A 100mm cowl?
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ADRC.html
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spiral-Roof-Cowl-Mesh/112984551344?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=49131&meid=93ef69437d564674b5dec5d4647aaf5c&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=173365463999&itm=112984551344&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
3. Do inline fans work ok in a vertical orientation?

Thanks for any comments

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You need a pitched multi slate, a short length of black 110mm pipe (we prefer black) and a mushroom cowl.

It is the black pipe that passes through the lead slate and the mushroom cowl weathers the exit. You then attach your flexi hose to the black pipe.

No need for a condensation trap for a short vertical exit, though I would wrap insulation around the hose.

I would reconsider venting the extractor through the roof. These need to be either 125mm or 150mm and this could be difficult with off the shelf products. You may need a proprietary kit from the manufacturer or a specific kit from a dedicated vent materials suppliers (Stadium, Klober etc).

Sponsored Links
Tile terminal and connect the duct to the back of it. Who wants three ugly black pipes poking up through the roof like an oil refinery? Pigeons don't dont count.

Tile terminal and connect the duct to the back of it. Who wants three ugly black pipes poking up through the roof like an oil refinery? Pigeons don't dont count.
TVT's are fine but less flexible than routing your own pipe and vent. We have used both and I've fitted dozens of TVT's and pipes. The pipe through version offers the fitter greater flexibility in positioning and is slightly cheaper and available. Watch your tile gauge also when choosing a TVT. If you have closed down the gauge, for whatever reason, be prepared for some clever cutting.

You will not get a TVT suitable for a cooker hood sized duct.

Ceiling fan with non return flap is another option for utility or shower . (Has no more on show that inline model.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back