Newly fitted towel rails not working on CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I need help :cry:

I fitted 2 towel rails for my customer, one in the bathroom and the other in an en-suite.

Better let you know at this point that I'm not a plumber but have fitted / moved many radiators.

The original rads stopped working several months ago.

The 1st thing I did was to add some sludge remover to the tank in the loft for a couple of weeks. Drained the system down, took off the rads and flushed through the pipes; 1 at a time.

The pipes were full of metal flakes and very black. I waited till water ran clear before fitting new towel rails.

Filled system, bled air and then fired it up. But still no heat to towel rails.

Isolated all other rads on system and pulled some water out of top of towel rail via hose pipe on a check valve to pull out any air locks.

The hot water comes through but when left to run normally there is still no heat.

The thing is that these are the only two rads that dont get hot. All over rads around the house are very hot and controlled by trv's.

The hot water is on an ermersion tank.

Sooooooooo sorry for the long post but I wanted to make everything clear.

What can I do next?

Sponsored Links
bathroom rads are sometimes run on the hot water primarys, let the cylinder primarys heat up and see if there is any heat to the towel rails.

Thank you tincup I believe I have balanced the system but I will check out the FAQ

The customer has just text me saying still no heat. Which has been several hours now.

I did ask her to switch on the HW at the programmer to see if that would work.

These two rad do seem to be on a seperate curcuit but I can top them up from the header tank and drain them down from the lowest rad? Hope I'm not confusing the issue.

Im back there on Monday to try and get them working but is there anything I can get the customer to try over the weekend

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone,

Fixed the problem. Happy dayz

It was the flow pipe to the 1st towel rail where it 't's off from the main flow.

Blocked completely with rust and black crud. Cut the pipe out and replaced it with new.

Added inhibitor and advised the customer to get a magnaclean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back