Towel Rail plumbed into HW system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had a new bathroom installed and bought towel rails big enough to heat the room (no rads fitted in the room).

I have now discovered the pumber has connected the towel rails to the hot water system , not the central heating system.

Is this correct?? - Its not much use to me as I don't want to keep the hot water switched on just to heat the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
1 the towel rail aint big enough to heat the room (unless its tiny)

2 was the way it was done years ago as a heat leak to stop the cylinder boiling

if its not what you want get him back

kevplumb said:
2 was the way it was done years ago as a heat leak to stop the cylinder boiling

It does mean that the towels are dried in the summer when the CH is switched off though.

Assuming you mean the hot water primary pipes and not the tap water, then yes that is the standard way for connecting towel rails unless otherwise requested

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:

So 3500 btu's isn't enough to heat a 2.5m x 2.5m bathroom?

a1topdog said:
kevplumb said:

So 3500 btu's isn't enough to heat a 2.5m x 2.5m bathroom?

That depends upon the construction of the room, widow sizes and types etc. Also dont forget that it is a towel radiator so most of the heat will be absorbed by the towels and not used to heat the room.

doitall said:
Assuming you mean the hot water primary pipes and not the tap water, then yes that is the standard way for connecting towel rails unless otherwise requested

I have an unvented system. I have just spoken to the plumber and he has advised me that the towel rails are plumbed in off the primary flow / return , so they get hot every time the boiler fires - weather it is for the central heating or the hot water. I have yet to test this by turning off the hotwater but keeping the central heating switched on.

As an interested party...So in the summer when the towels would dry naturally the bathroom is being heated when not required & I assume that you have no control of the temp. in the bathroom ever. Seems daft to me.

Diyisfun said:
As an interested party...So in the summer when the towels would dry naturally the bathroom is being heated when not required & I assume that you have no control of the temp. in the bathroom ever. Seems daft to me.

Could always shut the rad valve off or fit a trv. Its only a loop off the main flow and circulators.

Ta for that, I hadnt realised it was ONLY a loop, I thought it was the main circuit. #
Wish I had done mine like that.
Although I have the towel rail as the only rad without a t/stat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back