Newly skimmed walls, what next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hope you can all help me.

Just had walls skimmed so wondering which order I should tackle the painting. Was thinking the following:

1. paint ceiling (not skimmed and has wallpaper on)
2. paint coving
3. paint skirtings
4. then wall

How does the order look?

In terms of the newly skimmed walls, whats the best prepration for painting. Presumably I'd need to sand down first and then clean down with sugar soap??? This would be followed be part water and paint solution.

Does this sound OK?

Thanks in advance

H

Sponsored Links
Don't go anywhere new plaster with sandpaper - or you'll need it skimming again. As for Sugar Soap???? That's for removing grease. Get a cheapo contract matt and water it down 25%. Give it a good coat or two then the finish of your choice (two coats).

Order is probably Ok but I’d probably paint the skirting last. Not much you can do about the unplastered ceiling if it’s had wallpaper stuck on it; if you try & strip it will probably ruin the PB.

If the walls have been plastered by someone who can actually plaster you should never need to sand them before decorating, are they that bad? Sanding destroys the surface grain of finish plaster & it will look a bit like suede brushed against the grain until you apply enough paint to cover it up. If you do need to sand them down, just brush/vacuum off the excess dust before painting, don’t use sugar soap :confused: , ---- & then ask for a discount from whoever did the plastering :rolleyes:

New plaster needs a couple of wash coats which is basically matt white emulsion paint thinned down 25-30% with water. Raw plaster will suck the moisture out of paint & unless its thinned down it won’t stick to the wall properly.

Thanks guys.

Plaster has done a brill job, however, he suggested a fine sanding as the walls are like glass.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Plaster has done a brill job, however, he suggested a fine sanding as the walls are like glass.
Cheers
Any plasterer with experience would not trowel the walls "like glass" unless he is trying to **** off the decorator! The very fact he’s told you means he probably knows full well the paint won’t stick to it easily. If they really have been “over towelled”, I would advise you just give them a light scuffing with 120 grit to give a bit of a key for the paint but don’t sand them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back