Newly skimmed room, what next (advice)...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
afternoon all,

just had small bedroom reskimmed and its dried out nicely (its been a week now), but ive got the following that i want to do, but just wanted some advice on which way round/best order to do this:

works to do:

-supply and fit coving
-supply and fit skirting (we want the primed mdf type)
-mist coat walls
-final paint finish to walls
-gloss architrave's and framework and door.

i was thinking:

-apply 2-3 mist coats to all walls and ceilings
-once dry, fit coving, then paint
-fit skirting boards - was going to gloss them before i fit them.then caulk in gap at top
-paint walls
-gloss woodwork.

is this ok or if someone in the trade can give me a few pointers id really appreciate it. :D

new carpet to do down at the very end.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Skim can take a lot longer to dry than a week and only 1 mist coat is needed, the skirts will need both prep and undercoat unless you choose Crown Solo. Your arcs if painted will also need prep and undercoat, if there is any unpainted timber involved you should apply a knotting agent, Primer\Undercoat before you gloss.

Dec

The skim is to porus and the Cove adhesive could well fail, actually if the op is going to stick the skirts with something like No Nails he would be better off misting the entire areas before fixing anything.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Fixing the coving before painting can lead to cracking, but doing it after can lead to the excess adhesive damaging the mist coat, as can any temporary pins you may need to use. Fitting before or after misting has it's pitfalls so it's down to personal choice really.

If you plan on only using a grab adhesive for the skirting, then I wouldn't mist the area behind it because the adhesive can often fail when only stuck to paint. Mechanical fixings are always better.

Other than that, you've now got everything pretty much covered.

The application of a mist coat first is the correct approach, if indeed you did get any cove adhesive on it you would just remove any excess and simply wipe it down.

With regard to any grab adhesive the application of a mist coat will simply ****** it's curing time promoting a stronger bond, don't forget that the mist coat has been absorbed into the skim and is not just sitting on the surface.

Dec

Whilst we are on the subject of coving, another method that is often used within the trade would be to mark a line the exact depth of the cove, and working slightly above the line apply a small amount of pva to the area.

This method is often used when applying cove to plaster skim, yet not a practice a diy-er should adopt.

Dec

Forget coving adhesive, it goes off to quick, you end up throwing some of it away and you are constantly having to wash your tools out where it dries too quick. For the last thirty odd years we've used artex to stick coving up with, it works a treat, stays wet enough to use for hours and doesn't need as much washing down , it's a lot cheaper too. I've never had any coving come unstuck doing it this way either and we never ever pin it.

ic1927

You are spot on, with regard to this thread the word Artex never crossed my mind, and you are so correct that is all we used. Same mix as you would use to caulk over your tape. No excuses on my part just never entered my head.

Cheers

Dec

Cheers Dec. When we switched from the gyproc cove adhesive to using artex, I went from putting 60 metres up in a day to putting 90 metres up in a day on site work mainly due to the constant washing out and mixing with the gyproc stuff. Mix a ten litre bucket full of artex caulk and it will stick 40 metres no problem without going off in the bucket.

Yes you are right, I in the main did'nt get to involved with site work I tended to steer myself toward a different direction. And your mention of Artex in this case has to me brought back memories which to me were lost in a bygone era.

Thank you for reminding me of the past

Take care

Dec

Whilst we are on the subject of coving, another method that is often used within the trade would be to mark a line the exact depth of the cove, and working slightly above the line apply a small amount of pva to the area.

This method is often used when applying cove to plaster skim, yet not a practice a diy-er should adopt.

Dec

Precisely what I do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back