Newworld gas cooker - 1 hob doesn't spark.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I have this Newworld gas cooker which is about 2.5 years old. One of the hobs doesn't spark anymore.

I suspected I broke it myself by cooking pasta and water spilling and/or me cleaning the cooker with too wet a sponge.

I've tried a hairdryer on it the dead sparker thing for 10 minutes and hasn't helped.
I've also repeatably used the broken hob using matches to spark it, thinking it would dry it out.

The cooker has had this issue for about 6 months I'm only just getting into action mode to properly fix it now lol. The hobs and sparkers are very clean by the way, not caked in grease etc.

Any ideas please? Although I am an enthusiastic DIYer that can turn my hands to most things with guidance, I am concerned about taking this cooker apart because it involves gas and I've got a bit of OCD lol!

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Get an old toothbrush & scrub the end of the wire conductor & white insulator to make sure there is no dirt or burnt food lingering. Failing that you will need a new ignitor

I don't know if I've broken the forum record here for how long I've taken to fix something... But over 7 years after my original post above, I've finally made the effort to fix the broken hob...

Turns out it wasn't me/water that broke it at all, the wire going to the sparker was tightly trapped between the cooker's back metal cover and one of the exhaust pipes (don't know if that's what they are really called). And it must have melted through the wire and broke the connection.
I had to flex the back cover away with some force to free the broken wire.

I bought a replacement sparker thing directly from Newworld, which came with the wire and I've routed it all correctly and now the cooker is fine.

I was already unhappy with Newworld quality, now I'm definitely never buying any of their products again. How did it get through their quality checks with the wire like that! Also, the front panel has gone all rusty over the years, even though I've never used any harsh cleaning products on it :unsure:

Photos attached of the wire and the rust.
Look for the red drawn on bits.

Posting here for anyone that finds themself in a similar situation, obviously I'm not saying take your cooker apart but it could be that a wire has melted.

Attachments

• 00001.jpg
    00001.jpg
    608.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 00002.jpg
    00002.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 00003.jpg
    00003.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 28

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back