NI Protocol - Windsor Framework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doesn't sound too onerous although the DUP are a little tight lipped about it. Amusingly the deal was sealed at Windsor Guildhall, I got married in there.
News outlets seem a little subdued on the issue, the framework, not my wedding.
Any thoughts from our NI posters?

Sponsored Links
Will Boris torpedo the deal?
It looks very similar to the version Theresa May struggled to get through - apart from the NI veto. A veto in all but name since it requires at least five NI mp's to agree on that, and then get the seal of approval from Westminster.
The Scots must be wondering: "What makes them so bloody special?"

Id guess not announcement would’ve been made unless govt had got agreement from DUP.

however I bet it won’t get Stormont back up and running, I can’t see the DUP working with Sinn Fein.

Haven’t heard any real poo pooing from the regular Brexit naysayers on here yet which is unusual. I think Dear Rishi might be onto a winner.

Sponsored Links
Will Boris torpedo the deal?
It looks very similar to the version Theresa May struggled to get through - apart from the NI veto. A veto in all but name since it requires at least five NI mp's to agree on that, and then get the seal of approval from Westminster.
The Scots must be wondering: "What makes them so bloody special?"
Boris's one was the same as May's. This breaches both their red lines as it allows EU law in NI.

It seems very sensible, a theoretical tool to block EU law that the DUP won't be strong enough to pull. But it's still enough to let them save face.

Haven’t heard any real poo pooing from the regular Brexit naysayers on here yet which is unusual. I think Dear Rishi might be onto a winner.
Anything that eases the burden of the Brexit clusterfook is a good thing. Sensible people in charge of the government can do sensible things. (y)

No doubt the Brexit supporters will try and sell this as a “we got the EU to back down” win.

The reality is that Sunak somehow got the ERG and DUP to back down. Either with bribes or blackmail.

Boris's one was the same as May's. This breaches both their red lines as it allows EU law in NI.

It seems very sensible, a theoretical tool to block EU law that the DUP won't be strong enough to pull. But it's still enough to let them save face.
I heard it was only 3% of EU law related to the ECHR will be active in the region - and only in extreme cases - who'll quibble; the DUP?
Steve Baker made positive noises and since he holds more political clout than most in the ERG i imagine the Westminster mob will smuggle the bill through and quell DUP misgivings.
Nobody has the energy for this anymore.
Sign da ting!

I’m very suspicious of the why the ERG have given their support.

Steve Baker, leader of ERG only agreed to Johnsons deal originally because Johnson promised to rip it it up later.

In reality this new development is just the Conservative party finally agreeing to implement the NIP with EU ECJ oversight.

It seems to me that this agreement makes some pretty big changes to the NIP, which massively reduce the number of customs checks and the paperwork involved in moving goods from Britain to Northern Ireland.

As regards the ECJ, it only has a role in Northern Ireland in relation to ruling on the single market. I don't see how it is possible for Northern Ireland to be part of the single market if it isn't subject to the same rules as the other member states. Hopefully the ERG/DUP will see sense.

Brexiteers are a stupid lot...

Everything 'achieved' so far has been at the cost of worse conditions than existed before...

This latest fudge has so many caveats built in that it means that the brexit calamity will just run and run.
NI politicians will use these caveats at any smallest opportunity.
Stormont has been suspended 5 times for a total of over 8 years in the 24 years it has had full devolved powers!

No one wins with this deal (apart from the smoggs of this world)...

But as brexiteers repeatedly say - they just don't care!

One fun fact, if Stormont is on strike again then the brake can't be applied. The laws will take effect by default.

One fun fact, if Stormont is on strike again then the brake can't be applied. The laws will take effect by default.
Yes indeed.

the Deal allows Stormont to a veto, but if they aren’t sitting, as you say laws take effect by default.

If DUP refuse to return to Stormont, they can’t complain about anything in the future :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Back