Nicotine Hell!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone advise me of the best way to get rid of nicotine in the paint. We have just bought a house that needs totally decorating that was inhabited by chain smokers by the looks of it. We have sugar soaped all the ceilings but where we are steaming off the wallpaper brown gunge is still coming off the ceiling.

Any help would be apreciated as my wife and i are both non smokers and the house just feels so dirty.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As much as you sugar soap, you wont get rid of all the nicotene, I know, as I have done the same, I had a whole house like it :cry:

There is some products out to cover these stained ceilings/walls prior to emulsioning, but can be very expensive.

What I have done and always do, and its so much cheaper, is to buy cheapest oilbased undercoat there is.

Pour some of the undercoat into either a paint kettle of an old bucket, add some white spirit, keep stirring so its like a double runny cream.

Get the oldest worn out roller sleeve you have, and roll the ceiling/walls with the Undercoat, leave to dry, then emulsion.

Make sure every inch of the area is covered in the undercoat, and throw the old roller away.

You will have to emuslion at least twice, but you will have the whitest ceilings in the world lol

I recently had same.. Struth I notice the pong since I stopped smoking last yr. :eek: Anyhows I used to use the undercoat trick like you spice . But on ths job as the ceilings were Bare arstex and 20ft long and walls were anaglypta I used Zampa's tip with P.V.A. Though I cleaned off a little with housold ammonia, then I diluted pva 1/5 and coated all walls and ceilings. Then two coats of emulsion. All stains Perfectly blocked.
Interestingly, seems local councils when they redec a vacant house use zinnsser bin shellac/stain blocker all over..

Glad it worked...that'll be 150 pound please for the tip!

I had a job...unpainted artex...looked like the bloke had had a bar b q in there!

Used thinned out bleach in a garden sprayer...left it to dry then mixed PVA in with the first coat of silk for the ceiling
allowed to dry 100% ovenight then gave it a ordinary one...worked a treat

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back