nicotine stained ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the quickest and cheapest way to seal a lounge ceiling approx 20' x 10' it is nicotine stained and emulsion will not cover. I usually give it a coat of oil based undercoat ,do any of you know a better way.....

Sponsored Links
I had to clean an artexed ceiling with this staining. It took weeks, spraying a small patch with Mr Muscle kitchen cleaner, then spraying again with water to rinse off. It worked though :)

Sponsored Links
Think rembrant that your way is quickest and cheapest for heavy stained nicotine. Have tried quite a few products over the years Zinner 123 which is waterbased seemed to be ok but once in a while small yellow sections bled through, I tried others which are really smelly they work but house needs to be unoccupied :cry: soo have to say that good old solvent based u/c is cheapest tho smelly and it does work every time.
Polycell stain blocker is great for small areas.

Good luck

Thanks for all your replies,I undercoated the ceiling today and it seems OK...

rembrant said:
Thanks for all your replies,I undercoated the ceiling today and it seems OK...

Nicotine can bleed sometimes eventually through oil based undercoat too, plus theres the risk of the paint flaking.

I have come across a few ceilings in this state.....if they are smooth wash and wash and wash with sugar soap then rinse...then a quick coat of PVA thinned with water to a ratio of 3 water 1 pva

Same goes for an artexed ceiling, stain block can be pretty expensive and if the ceiling has never been painted thenwashing is not an option....again on the the pva....and you dont have to buy unibond, go for a cheapy.....as long as it conforms to the bs code then you'l be fine.

A 4:1 mix of bleach in a garden sprayer is a good pretreatment.......but mind your eyes. :mad:

how go,
try mr muscle bathroom cleaner.spray on,leave for a minute then wash with slightly soapy water.it should shift it.mr muscle kitchen is good but i think bathroom is better for ground in shisen. ;)

I would avoid products like mr muscle etc......you could end up causing a reaction with subsiquent coats of paint.

Stick to cheap thinned bleach and a garden sprayer.....dont forget the goggles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back