Night storage heaters installation in a conservatory

as an aside ... have you worked out the heat loss calculations ?? ... theres a fair chance a storage heater will not be the best choice as the heat loss may be far greater the the heat output or stored heat ??
Indeed, that's obviously why I asked ...
How well insulated is your conservatory?
... although, as you will have seen, the OP has partially responded to that.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Would you advise differently?
Yes - but as I said, if there were, say, just one storage heater (or even just two), I'm far from convinced that having a separate CU would be justified, would it?
That's certainly true, but it's a different discussion.

corkyboy
, do you know roughly what proportion of your electricity usage is at cheap rate? If it is less than about 35% of your total usage, then you are probably paying more for your electricity than you would if you got rid of the Economy 7 and changed to just a standard single tariff.

Kind Regards, John
Our overnight usage is only 21% so food for thought, I need to look into that!

Indeed - and and electrician who determined what is going on could easily advise.
That's certainly a start, but I would suspect that windows are at least as big an issue in a conservatory. I don't really know, but is there not a regulatory/planning issue as regards the roofing of 'conservatories'?
There are various options, a couple of which EFLI and I have just discussed. Again, your electrician could advise.

Kind Regards, John
The insulation will be internal to the roof so no planning issues apply.

as an aside

have you worked out the heat loss calculations ??
theres a fair chance a storage heater will not be the best choice as the heat loss may be far greater the the heat output or stored heat ??
I've see calculations covering the effect of insulating the roof but not figures that would include loss through the windows. Clearly i need to examine heating options further as you may well be right, convectors on timers may well be a better option. I'm grateful for the responses even if they are raising more questions, it shows i have more work to do.

Sponsored Links
Our overnight usage is only 21% so food for thought, I need to look into that!
That's far too little for E7 to be cost-effective, although things will obviously change a bit if/when you install storage heater(s). Tariffs vary, but with most suppliers, the 'break even point' is 30-35% night usage. Less than that, and your electricity bills would be higher than they 'need' be (with a standard single tariff).

Kind Regards, John

The insulation will be internal to the roof so no planning issues apply.
I'm relying on very vague recollections, but I thought that if the roof ceased to be transparent, it ceased to qualify as a conservatory, with possible planning implications. However, I might have dreamt that!

Kind Regards, John

I'm relying on very vague recollections, but I thought that if the roof ceased to be transparent, it ceased to qualify as a conservatory, with possible planning implications. However, I might have dreamt that!

Kind Regards, John
It's not transparent now, it is opaque poly-carbonate so I guess that is OK.

It's not transparent now, it is opaque poly-carbonate so I guess that is OK.
As I said, it's only vague and hazy recollections - someone else here might have a clearer idea - but I don't imagine that it's a problem. Heating it might be :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back