Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently this cars turbocharger had broken due to a retaining nut coming loose and being ingested basically writing off the turbo charger. So we're replaced the turbocharger with a new one and tried to start the engine.
Initially the engine started then after a few seconds it stuttered and stumbled then slowly stalled. After trickle changing the battery and making sure every thing was in the right place we tried to start it again...the same thing happened only it got to higher revs before stopping. Now when we try to start the engine it is cranking (quickly) but will not start. It sounds exactly like the cam belt has snapped however we checked the cam belt and it's practically like new. We think there might be an issue with compression or the hydraulic lift valves but we can't be certain. Just wondering if anyone has came across this before?

Also you could still drive the car in time after the turbocharger broke and before the replacment was fitted it just wasn't very pleasant.

More on the vehicle
NISSAN QASHQAI 1.5L TDCI
08 REG
70K MILES

Thanks for reading :).

Also during the repair we never touched anything to do with the fuel system but just incase we have bleed the system and that didn't work either.

Sponsored Links
This is a difficult one but if you think the engine is maybe cranking over a little faster than normal I'd be inclined to lift the rocker cover off and check the camshaft and it's bearing caps.
At this mileage the timing belt should have been replaced.....check along all it's length looking for sheared teeth.
The 1.5 Dci engine is a reliable lump in it's 106 BHP form but injection pump problems aren't unknown - but unlikely to be a coincidence in this case I think.
John :)

Thank you for your reply John.

We have checked the timing belt to see if it had snapped and checked the camshaft alough not in to much depth as we felt we were Barking up the wrong tree :ROFLMAO: however we didn't think to check the teeth :notworthy: will have to give them a check.

Yeah I have heard about some issues with the 1.5 diesel :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Also you could still drive the car in time after the turbocharger broke and before the replacment was fitted it just wasn't very pleasant.

Wasn't pleasant? Low power or running roughly? How far / long did you drive it? Did the engine ingest any of the damaged turbo? Holed piston? Damaged valve? Timing jumped a tooth ( or two)?

If the cam belt looks ok then try a compression test before you do anything else, otherwise you're wasting your time (in my opinion).

Hope this helps

Back