no blue wire !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have an telephone extension upstairs, and i wanted to connect a talktalk hub there instead of downstairs in the hall but it doesn't work,i don't need it for telephone or anything else, i have opened the box and and there is orange 2 green 3 and white 5 and black not connected but i don't have blue.
any help would be much appreciated thank you in anticipation
Tom

Sponsored Links
What does the hub connect in hall ? That is likely to be the master socket. It may have a filter to remove ADSL signals from the telephone wiring in the house.

The cable to the telephone extension upstairs is most probably connected to the filtered terminals in the master socket and hence there will be no ADSL signal at the upstairs telephone extension.

For phone service you only need the wires to terminals 2 and 5 in the extension socket, ( some older telephones also need terminal 3 connected to ring the bell ).

it does have a filter on it i think between the hub and the wall socket if i remove that will it work ?

Sponsored Links
If the hall point is a 'NTEx' then it will have a second pair of terminals for extending to a remote router point. You have to run a second cable to that remote point from the second pair of terminals.

Normally the router plug is a RJ45 whilst the telephone plug is BT standard. You need the correct conversion cable to get a router to work with a BT plug.

Thank you, looks like a none starter if your talking about running cables so I'll just give it a miss.

i have opened the box and and there is orange 2 green 3 and white 5 and black not connected but i don't have blue.
any help would be much appreciated thank you in anticipation
Tom
Had to get my old notes out... Those cable colours are for external (Underground) cable; has a black sheath. If the other, upstairs, box has different colours then you have another box somewhere.
Internal cable is either Blue/Orange/Green/Brown (old type), or Blue-white/White-blue, Orange-White/White-Orange twisted in pairs, could also have Green-White/White-Green in off-white sheath.

here are some photos of downstairs and up

Attachments

• IMG_20210708_155618.jpg
    IMG_20210708_155618.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20210708_155614.jpg
    IMG_20210708_155614.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20210708_155608.jpg
    IMG_20210708_155608.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20210708_155604.jpg
    IMG_20210708_155604.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20210708_155420.jpg
    IMG_20210708_155420.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 65
So extension socket is wired with external cable.
The Master socket extension connections are ǹot connected.
Master socket looks to have filters but faceplate does not have RJ45 socket.
what colour wires are in the white cable going into master socket? Are such wires connected anywhere? Which colours?

To be honest - the wiring looks to be a total bodge.

i bought powerline plugs and just use them, bit more expensive but less hassle,but thank you everyone for your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back