scanny 9752 telephonr connection query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good morning all,

I have just fitted a scanny 9752 unit which connects directly to a telephone line using terminals marked A and B.

I have a nearby telephone line which does NOT have a plate on it, just the wire passing, which i would like to hook into.

On the master box (note not a socket?) i have green, blue and red/orange wires (cat5 not alarm cable)
Blue 2
Green 5
Red 3

Going to the first socket and extension. Can i connect my alarm panel to the blue and green without another telephone socket/ directly into the alarm? Or should it have another socket and plugged into that?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

If the socket is not being used and it is convenient, then I personally can not see any reason why you can't use it, irrespective of any further comments after mine. I've done it, and it works... that's all I care about. Why I started doing this many years ago is beyond me, I can't remember, but if the socket is a slave I tend to change it to a master (with a capacitor). Why ? I just don't know.

Two master sockets on one line is not a good idea.

The automatic line testing equipment uses the capacitor and the 470 K ohm resistor to measure the line charactoristics. With two master sockets on the line the test results are not accurate and false line fault reports may be generated.

Hi,

If the socket is not being used and it is convenient, then I personally can not see any reason why you can't use it, irrespective of any further comments after mine. I've done it, and it works... that's all I care about. Why I started doing this many years ago is beyond me, I can't remember, but if the socket is a slave I tend to change it to a master (with a capacitor). Why ? I just don't know.

Sponsored Links
Two master sockets on one line is not a good idea.

The automatic line testing equipment uses the capacitor and the 470 K ohm resistor to measure the line charactoristics. With two master sockets on the line the test results are not accurate and false line fault reports may be generated.
.... and if you do any sort of search on any UK telephone site there will be many a diagram on how to do it correctly.

But who are BT (and other telecommunication companies) to know how their equipment works, when Daisy Chain knows better?

Hi,

So, you do it the wrong way and then suggest that all other advice is, well, irrelevant?

Strange that you bang on elsewhere about forums being for gaining different opinions and advice.

At least Daisy Chain is admitting he does something without knowing why he does it. Perhaps one day he may learn why he does it and why he shouldn't do it. ( I wonder if he will edit to remove that admission )

At least Daisy Chain is admitting he does something without knowing why he does it. Perhaps one day he may learn why he does it and why he shouldn't do it. ( I wonder if he will edit to remove that admission )

too late. :mrgreen:

Congratulations to each and everyone for posting such excellent advice. You are right and I am wrong. Thankyou all for putting me straight with your top professional advice.

Thankyou once again.

Thankyou Europlex for that last comment, I must apologise unreservedly and bow to your outstanding wisdom. You are correct yet again. My thanks for pointing out my inherent failures.

Thankyou

Going back to the OP's question... Yes, connect A and B to pins 2 and 5. It should work fine, whatever is between the socket and the exchange.

A note of caution: Don't exceed the REN limit. That's usually 4 phones/faxes/Sky boxes/alarms/etc. plugged into your extensions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back