Queries about main BT connection box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd appreciate some help with some work to my main BT telephone connection box.

The existing wire coming out of the primary BT connection box to a master socket has been cut, which means i need to wire a new socket to it. I've opened up the main junction box which is connected to the wire coming from the outsideand this is what it looks like;

The wires on the right are coming from outside and it currently shows one orange and one white wire connected. The other wires in green and black are doing nothing.

On the left hand side, is the existing wire leading to the internal socket that needs replacing. Only 2 wires are connected, Orange and Blue.

How do these translate into the standard telephone wiring? i.e. which wires should i connect? Should i call BT to install a master BT socket or can i do this myself?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
connect a wire from the orange and white wires (2 wires in total) to a master socket. terminals 2 & 5

Strictly speaking, if the wiring is on the 'line' side of the NTE (or the first socket on older installations) it is BT's responsibility. They may charge to replace the cable if they consider it has been cut deliberately.

If you need to replace the cable to the master socket or NTE, then you only need to connect one pair of wires from your new cable.
It is usual practise to use the BLUE/white & WHITE/blue pair to replace the blue & orange in the older cable.

The new wires connect to 2 & 5 of a master socket, or A & B on the back section of an NTE. Most installations are not fussy about which way round the wires are connected, but some older modems were sensitive to line polarity.

Thanks for the info.

So to make clear, what i should do is to remove the old blue/orange cable from this box (which i have circled below) and then connect the BLUE/white & WHITE/blue wires from a new cable which goes to my new socket.

Do i connect the wires to the same connections as the blue and orange ones?

Sponsored Links
yes.

same as they are now is what you shuld do, but you will needa kroning tool, or you could just connect it to thee orange and white on the screw terminals

You can connect the two wires of the new cable to the orange/white (FEED)coming into the house ,just undo the screws and piggy back them onto it or use gel crimps...that bt80 looks at bit knackered and you may get problems between the screws and the krone connections,you will then have to connect the white/blue to the screw terminals on the nte...not 2 and 5 as this is for your extensions...if openreach come out you will certainly get a bill for £120 plus

Thanks for all your help. I'll have a go at connecting them directly to the screws later.

Sorry if this sounds a bit thick, but what colour wire should i connect to the orange terminal and what colour to the white?

your choice, but what ever remember its the same at the other end

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back