No Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I am almost ready to exchange contracts on the house I am buying and one final thing has cropped up.

The 1930's place I bought, had a wall removed between what would have been a kitchen and dining room, but no building regs can be found, and the person I am buying off says it was done when she bought it, so no Knowledge of the work, she bought cash and did not have a survey.

The same applies for a small porch that was added, and also slate roof tiles were changed at some point, all houses in the area have the same roof tiles now.

No signs of any movement at all, but the survey and the solicitor say it is my responsibility to make sure the works were done correctly. It seems the seller will pay for indemnity to keep the lender happy, looking at this it is only protection if the council turned up out of the blue, and ordered the work be checked.

Anyway, I am happy the work is good, as there seems to be a lintel in the wall removal, no cracks, the roof is not sagging at all, and the fact all other are the same in the area. But what is my best option, to cover this for when I come to sell the place in future?

I know the home buyers report are covering there arse, as is the solicitor.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
~£80 I'd have thought - I had calculations done for £120. The biggest cost is normally the removal of plaster and then making good so they can actually see the structural elements.

If it's nicely decorated I'd leave it for the time being,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back