No choice but to use a macerator! Can I combine condensate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've built a cloakroom under my stairs in a place where I cannot fit a soil pipe - doh. Trust me, it just won't happen. So I am going to have to go with the devil's own machinery - a macerator. Here's a couple of questions:

1 - Why are Saniflo so expensive and is an Easiflo or Hydrolux a suitable alternative? It needs to take WC soil and a basin waste only.

2 - My boiler sits on a wall in my garage through which my macerator waste needs to pass. In the past the boiler tech fitted my condensate in 22mm plastic through garage wall and into cast iron soil stack about 500mm above ground by stitching and silicone. It's a good join and has never leaked. It is a well used stack and so corrosion should not be an issue as there regular flushing of the condensate at that point. Can I buy a 22mm outlet macerator, plumb the outlet into the garage and then after about 1500mm or so T it into the condensate pipe to make use of the existing inlet into the cast stack? This would save an awful lot of fussing with cast iron that I do not want to do (and no I do not want to replace the whole stack with plastic - it crossed my mind and now I have all the gear laying in the garden but would rather not do it - wanna buy some soil pipe?). I would intend to fit one way, on-return valves on both lines so that neither condensate could drip toward macerator nor poop could back up into the boiler - yuk! Both seem very unlikely scenarios but better safe than sorry. Seems like a really smart option to me but I bet someone can come along and snag it - that's why I'm posting.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could T the macerator output into the condensate pipe. But think what might happen if you did that. You could get macerated sewage pumped into your boiler's condensation sump and combustion chamber as most simple one way valves do not work with sewage. They leak when bits of poo stick to the valve seat.

Like I said - someone will come along and snag it - that's the nature of forums. If 'most simple one way valves do not work with sewage' Bernard then which less simple ones do work? Suggest one that'll fit on a 22mm pipe and I'll buy it. I'll even fit 3 or 4 in line if it helps or change it every bloody year - hardly a major job. I did already mention that I was aware that poo in the boiler would inevitably be a bad thing - not part of the boiler's design spec or normal operating parameters. Thanks for your reply though :)

We had an anti back flow valve on our domestic sewage pump ( all waste from the house pumped out to the street sewer ). This was a hard plastic ball inch and a half diameter ( or was it two inches ) resting on a soft rubber seat. It had to be mounted vertically with the pumped liquid going upwards and lifting the ball off the seating. It was not considered to be totally effective in preventing any back flow but only to reduce back flow to an acceptable amount.

Sponsored Links
Don't use cheap ones, manufacturer backup will be crap or non-existent when it goes wrong (which it will) and the motors aren't very powerful. I avoid Saniflo for the same reason - in the very few cases where I've been unable to escape fitting one of these contraptions, I've gone for Grundfos. Their motors are 620W against Saniflo et al's 400ishW, and they do seem to be more reliable

As for teeing it into the condensate, I really wouldn't recommend it. It'll only take one failure of a non-return valve and your boiler could be scrap. You also shouldn't technically be doing anything to the condensate yourself as it's part of the flue system for the boiler and should therefore only be worked on by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. It's not that difficult to drill a cast stack, should only take 5 minutes with a sharp holesaw, just make a new connection for the macerator and then there will be no potential for ruining your boiler

Thanks Muggleswick for your reply. I didn't realise condensate would be a Gas Safe job so thanks for the tip. I'll look into Grundfos Soloflo and consider coring the CI for a second pipe adjacent to the condensate one. Hopefully the Grundfos will be happy venting through a small bore pipe as I don't want to stitch drill a big one through garage wall.

If Saniflo`s are too expensive for you then fit a cheaper make and as long as you stick to the rules of what can and cannot be flushed away you don`t need 600w motors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back