No dahlias this year

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have half a dozen border dahlias (Arnhem, if it matters), been in ten years or more. This is a coastal area, seldom frosted, so I don't take them up in winter.

This year, none seem to have come up. On inspection, one of them has stalks half as thick as a pencil, all eaten off. Might be snails, might be rabbit (neighbours have one that roams the street)

Has anyone else had a bad dahlia year?

The bed is surrounded by pavers for at least three metres in each direction, and i apply slug pellets so it's usually not bad.

Soil is naturally heavy but has been improved with grit and compost, and is well mulched with prunings, leaves and garden compost.

Sponsored Links
er mine have gone bananas! ive only got one tuber, but its gone mad. My mother sneaked it in the garden last year and to say i hate it and it doesnt go with the rest of the garden is an understatement! Still the little one likes picking them off and running around the garden with them!

ill post a piccie or two to make you jealous John! :LOL:

Just for you john! My mother gave it to me. She got it from a guy who grew prize winning ones and ripped them out of his garden. Left it in over winter and let it do its own thing.

SV500949.jpg

Nah Nah Na Nah Naaaaaaaaa!
tongueout.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back