No earth cable in light fitting - new spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought some lovely new spotlights, but they require an earth. When I removed the existing cover on the ceiling rose, I only have a red and black wire, but no earth. The house was built in 1955 and the wiring looks to me to be in good condition.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could do? I was thinking of taking up the floorboards above and running an earth cable from a radiator pipe?

What would be the simplest option? (apart from taking the lights back to the shop I guess!)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
sounds as if you need a partial or more probably a complete rewire.
get a pro in to give you an estimate.

This is reasonably common in houses of that age and as suggested a rewire may be due. However if you use only Class II (or non earthed fittings) it is normally a cheap alternative to a rewire if the condition of the wiring is Ok.

andyholliday said:
Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could do? I was thinking of taking up the floorboards above and running an earth cable from a radiator pipe?
Whatever you do, DO NOT wire the light fitting to the radiator. If needs must, you may run an earth wire from the lights back to the CU and terminate it in the earth terminal provided for the lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
Do the wires emerge from conduit? If they do, you could put an earth clamp on the conduit.

only if you are sure the conduit structure is adequately earthed.

Metal conduit can be used as an earth conductor but its not something i'd reccomend going without thourough testing and inspection first and therefore not something i would reccomend to diyers.

As far as I can see, it's just the two wires coming down through the hole in the ceiling. I've checked two other roses in the house, and they are identical.

I'm a bit gutted that I've got to take these lights back for some rubbish ones.... they were so nice.

take the floor boards up above as you were originally thinking and see if the earth has been terminated up there.
otherwise you have uncovered a problem that needs solving not hiding.

Spark123 said:
If needs must, you may run an earth wire from the lights back to the CU and terminate it in the earth terminal provided for the lighting circuit.
But given that that wire has to follow the circuit cable very closely, you might as well do a proper rewire...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back