No earth in spain is this a problem .?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all imm a new bee here so bear with me

I have bought a 50 yr old spanish flat and it has the old two wire system without an earth
Does the neutral serve as a type of earth ? And did the spanish fuse the neutral not the live , as when i press my one button isolator , the neon still shows a dim light on one socket wire

Is it really a problem not to have an earth as the caretaker tells me there is only an earth to the communal lights in the hallways etc

The cables of various colours seem in good condition so could i leave it as it is ? As i doubt the spanish electricians would bother to connect to the earth across the communal hallway

Any help welcomed

Peter :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Holá Peter

What type of sockets do you have? Are they the German Schuko type, or are they the old Spanish type which are two-pin only? Pictures would help. Don't forget that if your property's electrics run in steel conduit, then that conduit MAY form the earth connection.

If your property is not earthed, then, in the event of a fault the casing of an appliance like a washing machine or fridge could become live. It does not require the wisdom of Solomon to work out this could be fatal to anyone touching it!

In Spain, because the Schuko socket is unpolarised, double-pole circuit breakers are used in the RCD-protected distribution board, certainly on modern installations. However, your property dates from the 1960s, so is likely to have been wired to the standards of that period, which, if my information is correct, was originally 110v!

Your one-button isolator may be the ICP switch. It is a single-pole circuit breaker and is installed by the electricity supplier to limit the current you can draw depending on how much standing charge you are paying. Somewhere else (I hope!!!) you will have another fuse box!

You say with this off, your neon glows dimly on one of the wires. Is this a neon screwdriver. If so, it is only a screwdriver! Go and buy a multimeter from the nearest Chinese supermarket for about €8 - €10 and test again. The dim glow could be feedback through the neutral from other supplies.

I would suggest it is highly unlikely the neutral will be connected to earth. Is this a rural or semi-rural property? What part of Spain are you?

After all said and done, I would suggest a rewire is probably on the cards!

Hope this helps.

Hi thanks for the reply i have up loaded a foto of the trip switch in my album which should be public for you to see

They are the old 2 pin sockets and it is V. 380. A 6-25. ...3000.

I think spain is 210 volts now. And there was an old transformer in a box when i moved it which i binned as it was not connected etc

Thinks work ok. I get a little static when using heating radiator in the so called winter but humidification helps this , don't think its connected to my electrics

When I get the cash i shall have a re wire but i don't know where they will get the earth from .....shall have to investigate with the administrator i think

The whole block is the same but some have been re wired so i do not know of they have a real earth or not

Modern electrics with qualified execs are excellent now compared with the past lol

But there must be a safety factor in this system for touching metal if there is a fault surely ???

Or is the answer don't touch it till I get a rewire leave it as it is for now
I have fitted new sockets TO some of the old ones and ripped out the bell wire sockets etc

One socket that is not working. Gives off no neon signal when ON but a neon light when OFF. ??????? What the hell is going on the any ideas

Thanks

Peter

Ps. This is the only fuse...interrupter it is a Fulgor from Italy many yrs ago i suspect
The neighbour has a new fuse box consumer unit with trip switches BUT still no earth connection

Holá Pedro,

¡No veo sus fotos! I do not see your photos! Pero no problema. But it doesn't matter. ¿Y donde vive en España? Where in Spain do you live?

You say the neighbour has had a rewire with a new RCD/MCB distribution board. I would therefore suggest (because no electrician worth his salt would even consider connecting an un-earthed installation) that there is an earth to that (particular) property; probably an earth rod making it a TT supply if there is no earth supplied by the electricity provider.

Where is your electricity meter? There your should also find your ICP switch and the supply head, this supply head may be 3-phase+Neutral, supplying all the properties in the block. It is at, or adjacent to the supply head you will find the earth connection if it is provided by the electricity supplier. If there is no earth connection here, then it is a TT supply and
you will have to install an earth rod.

Regarding the ICP switch, Iberdrola in the Alicante area are mierda-hot on installing these. If they cannot get access to your property to install one (if it was not installed on first connection) then you are billed for the maximum tariff which costs an arm and both legs!

Sponsored Links
Hi again
I think the neighbor possibly had a friend do the consumer unit maybe

But the caretaker tells me that the whole block which is 50 yrs old. Only has earth in the communal hallways

I have seen an earth in the cupboard opposite so it would be possible to tap into it

I am in alicante so i shall get an electrician from the shop to come out and give me a quote for a rewire and confirm he will fit a. Proper earth. , i think there may be a picar in the basement , I shall investigate

Thanks for your help

Peter

Holá Pedro

Tengo un piso en Torrevieja, pero mi piso fue construido en 2002, no como su apartamiento, en 1962!

I have a flat in Torrevieja, but my flat was built in 2002, not like yours, in 1962! (It's a holiday home, not a permanent residence)

Regarding the earth you have found in a cupboard, this is probably just for the communal lighting and door release etc, and thus inadequate for the flat's entire power needs, so your plan to get a local sparky in to sort everything out is the best thing to do. If you go to the torrevieja.co.uk forum, you can find contact details for English-speaking electricians.

(Mods: I hope suggesting a particular "local" (to the OP) forum for more info does not break any rules here)

Thanks but i speak enough spanish. As english speakers usually charge a lot more .....
Esp in torre

Peter

Muy bien, amigo, y gracias por sus resputas. Yo hablo español sufficiente bien (o mal) ¡de confudir todo!

Sponsored Links
Back