No Earthing anywhere in flat....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just bought my first property in which I am looking to change a few sockets, light switches, and ceiling lights before it is rented out.

None of the above mentioned have been earthed - it seems that live wires from the fuse box are encased in copper and not earthed. I obviously have to get a electricians report before renting the property out - would the flat pass without any earthing present?

Thanks,

Nagsy

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the place is wired in Mineral Insulated cable.The outer sheath should be the CPC (earth) but as a minimum I would like to see an earth wire between the metal back box and the accesory.
A PIR will, amongst other things, test the continuity/state of the CPCs on these circuits so I would recommend you get one done.

does sound like MI to me,as said before outersheath is earthed so backboxes will need flyleads.

get a sparks in to do it though as he will be able to test properly,leaving you with a safe installation.there is only so much we can check on a forum.

MI was probably the best cable ever made so all should be well :D

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reponses.
I guess all the MI cables going into the fuse box will need earthing as well?

Just checked all the backboxes - it appears none of them have a connection for an earth wire.
Does that mean I will have to get all the boxes replaced? :(

not necessarily as back boxes could be drilled and tapped to take an earthing screw - your electrician will advise on the best option once he inspected and tested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back