Conduit used as earthing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was working at a property recently were there is no dedicated earth cable e.g the live & neutral cables run inside conduit that is buried in the wall , & the earthing is sullied via the conduit ?? is this acceptable today ? yhe property in question is a 2 bedroom flat , rented out to tenants , probably built in the early 80's ????

Sponsored Links
Providing it all tests out properly, then it's not a problem.

It would be convention to run in a seperate CPC these days incase of a corroded / loose joint, but nothing wrong with using trunking / conduit as the CPC.

thanks for that R.F Lighting , as a matter of interest should all of these checks be carried out before a new tenant moves into a property ??

There is no legal requirement to do so, but it is certainly a good idea and will cover your ass if you have a periodic inspection carried out prior to new tennants moving in.

Part of the periodic test would involve testing the earth continuity and earth fault loop values of the circuits to ensure the joints are all sound.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that R.F.Lighting , I normally inhabit the plumbing & C.Heating forum , & having reviewed a number of posts over here, I must admit it seems a more, how shall I put it , civilised forum !! Incidentally I took one of those limited scope pt P courses awhile back , designed for plumbers / c h engineers who go poking about in elecrics , there were 5 of us , all with our brand new testing equipment , that no one new how to use ! we spent 4 days all trying to work out what the teacher chap was talking about we never had a clue , big Z's little z's e.c.t , we all got our tickets , with step by step coaching ! a disgrace really , but there you go , Merry Christmas to you & thanks again !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back