No heat to towel rad

F

Female Plumber

Hi,

Simple basic problem but seems to be a bit head scratching.

Gravity fed system on Y-plan.
All rads getting really hot bar towel rad in bathroom.
All rads on drops so I've put some AAV's on the top off the drops.
Flow pipe gets warm but nothing's getting to the rad. Normally lock shield valves on both sides. Don't look that old.
I've turned every rad off and tried to push through heat but boiler just over heats and cuts out.
Plenty of water coming to rad.

I'm thinking a blockage as apposed to pump or anything as all other rads get hot normally!

Any pointers if anyone's come across similar before I start stripping it :(

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that the towel rail valves are really opening and not snapped off inside?

Hi

To check if there is a blockage at the valves. Turn off both rad valves to the towel rail.
Take out the air valve and fit a 1/2 " compression elbow in its place and the other end to a piece of copper/plastic pipe into a bucket.
Turn on one valve turn it off, turn on other valve.

HTH

Take the towel rad off and open the valves into a bucket, see what comes through.

Sponsored Links
Hey... Thanks guys Already tried both them

Water comes out when either valve shut off.
It's a strange old one :-/

If you're getting a good flow of water out of each valve and the rad won't heat up with others turned down, check for a blockage in the rad.
One of the plastic plugs got pushed inside perhaps??

Hi

Then rad off and flushed out.

Did the mfi say it had to go a particular way round?

Are you sure it's piped into flow and return?

Yeh... Comes off 22mm pipes in the attic that are heating other rads ok.

Yeah. There's something wrong with the pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back