cold rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
after changing towel rail for a tall vertical rad,i am having trouble getting heat to it. i managed to get it hot when i forced off all other rads but it wont get hot with the others turned on. it is the first rad fed before the 3 way port. i have bled several tubs of water from the bleed valve and it gets warm but as soon as i stop it goes cold again.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a blockage on one of the pipes or valves (possibly an airlock along the leg leading to the main flow or return pipe). Try closing one valve and bleeding it again then repeat the process with the other valve.

Sounds like you have a 'balancing' problem.

Your not going to achieve much by keep bleeding it.

If it gets hot with other rads shut, I would say balancing problem.

If you suspect a blockage, shut the valves, put a half inch male iron to compression with a bit of copper, put in place of the blank or bleed nut on top,

Run hose from copper to toilet.

Now open one valve and see what happens then close, then the other.

This will often shift a blockage or tell you whether there is a circulation problem

Sponsored Links
make sure you havent got it upside down or back to front, some vertical rads have baffles that only work when the rad is installed properly.

but is the flow and return on the right way ? (read the instructions it only matters on some of them)

last try ;) IF there is a baffle inside the radiator then it will matter which way the flow and return are connected, if you get them the wrong way round the flow through the rad will be poor,

there are some vertical rads where this is not an issue, yours might be one of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back