Some rads are cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 7 rads and one ladder style towel heater.

3 of the 4 downstairs rads are cold including the pipes leading to the valves, valves are fully open. 1 of the downstairs rads is only 4 metres from the boiler and that one is hot.

The towel heater and two other upstairs rads are hot but one rad is just warm.

I've bled all of them.

So is it thick sludge blocking the pipes and I need inhibitor to clear it? If so how do I do that?

I have a Ariston combi boiler.

Thanks, Lee.

Sponsored Links
UPDATE.

My living room rad which was cold is now warm at the top but cold at the bottom, both valves are fully open and one is thermostatic, the boiler has a dial for how hot I want the heating water to be and that is set to the highest.

If you have thermostatic valves then it would be worth removing the valve heads and make sure the valve pin pushes up and down.
Sometimes they get stuck in the down position and just need a little easing to get them free.
There are even some plastic heads by Myson that break and hold the metal pin closed.

Lee ,has this problem recently surfaced,with all the rads that don't heat suddenly not heating together? Or had it happened over a period of time ,starting with one rad then a while later a second etc ,not heating up ?

Sponsored Links
Turn off all the radiators that are hot and see if the other ones get hot. It could be that all your water is going through those rads and your system is not balanced.

When was system last drained, cleaned and inhibitor added? Ever?
If you’ve had it for 5+ years and never been done then do that and see what state the system water is in. Flush through with clean water a couple of times, then add a cleaner for a week, then dump that and refill with inhibitor. If it persists you need a Powerflush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back