Another Cold Radiator (towel heater)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one radiator ( towel heater) on the system that remains cold when the others are hot, This is a preliminary post, so I have to do a thorough investigation. I have yet to check the pump, flush the system, flush rad etc. The system is an open vented system.

The radiator is downstairs, the other downstairs and all upstairs rads are hot, there are 4 rads inclusive on the system. The rad was put in about 7 years ago and is a bit of a DIY job ( not by me). Unusually both pipes leading into the rad get warm but the rad itself does not. I can't see the feed pipes as they are enclosed. The heater rad has never worked. The valves are both open, they are both lockshield type, not TRV.

The rad can be made warmer if it is bled continuously for a while so that the warm water enters the rad.

If anyone has a good idea of what could be wrong i would appreciate their opinion. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Since we have not inspected your installation we dont know whats wrong.

But if you do the bucket test as explained in the FAQ on this site then that might well give a clue.

Tony

Thanks, I've now had a good look at the system, the pump is working, I've locked off the Lock Shield Valves on the rest of the system. Just had a hot inflow pipe to the towel rad: so it may be blocked.

I'll try "Bucket Test" as suggested, flush system etc. Many thanks

I post if all is successful

Got it sorted, drained system , tested rad valves and there was a plastic piece blocking the lock shield valve, replaced valves also ( it was old). Working great now!

Sponsored Links
Got it sorted, drained system , tested rad valves and there was a plastic piece blocking the lock shield valve, replaced valves also ( it was old). Working great now!

The bucket test would have identified that!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back