One cold radiator.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Running the central heating and the radiator in the en-suite is cold.
I have bled the radiator, I have checked both inlet and outlets to the rad and both are open (plunger spring is up).
The pipes to the rad are also cold not even a little warm.
The rad in our bedroom and the one in family bathroom next door are both hot as are all other rads.
Water pressure is in the green on the combi.
It was hot last winter.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Could be on the hot water primary circuit rather than the CH circuit. Does it get hot when hot water is on? Note, this is an unlikely explanation if you have a combi boiler.

Try running the system with just the valves to that one radiator open and all of the others closed, if it is an airlock, that will clear it. If not report back..

It will also temporarily cure a balancing error, which is very common, especially if the radiator is a later addition.

Sponsored Links
Hi Gents,

Have tried running the heating as suggested with other rads off but still have the same issue.

Rgds

Depending how hands on you are you could close both valves and take off radiator. Open each valve a little at a time and see if the system pressure forces any water through.

Depending how hands on you are you could close both valves and take off radiator. Open each valve a little at a time and see if the system pressure forces any water through.
Yes I could do this.

Yes I could do this.

This is a good idea, but be wary of relying on a TRV to stay tight. You may find it weeps.
If you do take it off, blast it through with the hose pipe in the back garden.

As i found out, In central heating, one thing oft leads to another....

If the rad is full of sludge, then it would be a good point to drain the system down completely, remove all rads, clean them similar and then flush out the pipes (gravity flush, but well, you can go other ways as well......)

Then you can put a cleaner in it for a week, rinse, repeat, ad inhibitor and job done for a year or so.....

Would the pipes going to the rad be a little warm even if the valves were not open?

A little warm, a long way along the pipes, but cold rad would suggest some, though not much flow.

Opening the bleed valve and getting a steady continuous flow from that, will only confirm there is some sort of flow to the radiator - it will not confirm the extent of the flow, nor that both pipes are clear and unrestricted.

Is this rad an add on that has been connected to the pipes from an existing rad ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back