No heating and noisy pumps after refitting a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any advice would be most gratefully appreciated:

I have an old (circa 1970's) pumped central heating system.
One radiator had been removed during decorating (one of the two upstairs). Heating system worked.

Refitted the radiator, opened the valve and filled the radiator until water came out of the bleed vent. Heating seemed to work fine for the first night.

Next morning, heating came on, but the pump is making a "moaning/ghostly" noise and no heat from the radiators at all. Pump spinning but trying to pump air rather than water? We seem to have hot water to the taps (for the moment)!

Gone round and bled all the radiators again, until water coming out (pump off and then on). Noises stopped for a few minutes then started up again. Opened the bleed valve on the refitted radiator again but can't decide if air is being expelled or sucked in! Seems to be the same on the other upstairs radiator.

Have checked header/feeder tank in the attic: contains clean water (with sediment below the outlet).

Is air leaking into the system somewhere? And where has the water gone that was there?!?

Cheers,

A

Sponsored Links
Clean water. I'm for blocked cold feed. They ain't filling.

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

oh yes. Rod than cold feed or get a u guage tube attatched to a blow torch and pressurise it out.

Do it backwards on the open vent if that dont work.

David

Well David, I've done a lot of things with a blow torch, but not that. How?

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

PS, that brat camp's rubbish, that's why I'm here!

Sponsored Links
Blocked Cold feed - cheers chaps, I'll see what I can do!

It's a long way from the header tank (attic) to the boiler/hot water tank (far end of kitchen in ground floor extension)...

A

you need the old primus bottles to do it.

Push the tube as far down cold feed as you can get it and turn on the bottle.

Hold as tight as you can!

Does work better on cold feeds that enter h/w return as they are not so hard (a lot wetter)

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back