No heating unless Hot Water is on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now I'm new to this forum and am after some advice. I've done my research and need a few pointers. Prepare for some background...here goes! ':confused:'

I have a Potterton Electronic NetaHeat 10/16. It seems to be the original with the house so 21 years old. Just moved into the house in Oct and noticed the heating would work intermittently. Check the room stat all working fine. Scratched head a bit, but not a big issue as it seemed to sort itself out again. Then the heating failed big time, no heating apart from in morning and later in day as though things had cooled down. When heating was on I noticed Rads were only warm at the bottom but boiling at top. Assumed it was sludge so got some help and drained 80% of rads(4 had no drain off!) and fitted TRV's to drained rads while I was at it. No sludge found and topped up system. After some massive airlocks worked like a treat for 3 weeks. Then again the heating started to switch off when not reached temp. I bleed some more air out and this seemed to resolve it for a few days but now I'm back to the heating turning itself off. (':eek:')

This time I looked elsewhere. And now I've managed to work out how to put the heating on. I ran a bath, then clicked on the Hot Water, this fired then I clicked on the CH, the rads got hot, clicked off the HW and the boiler stopped. Put the HW on and we boiler fires and we have heat. So it would seem CH only works with HW. Final test to prove my theory, the heating has just switched off again now, but we are still not at temp. I moved the hot water tank themostat up a few degrees and the boiler fired up. ':eek:'

So I'm not sure about the reason for the intermittent heating but I seem to have pointed to some issue. I think there is a diverter valve/pump this would seem to be my problem. ':rolleyes:'

Has anyone ideas on this. Do I need to change just a simple pump? Could there still be a deeper issue? ':?:'

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Terry :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hi look for problem on m/valve, if You have a 3 port valve that could be your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back